Tried E machine today

Two 1/4" 6061 aluminum disc 7" in diameter, nothing more complicated than cutting them out with hydrojet-$147 a pair. Sound reasonable to ya'll? Not to me

Reply to
GMasterman

A CNC milling machine could do this in a couple of minutes. That is probably the most cost effective tool to just do a few of these parts. There is no sense using water jet for simple jobs in easily-cut materials. If this was 1/4" hastelloy, water jet could be the tool of choice.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (GMasterman) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m29.aol.com:

Sounds like the abrasivejet owner didn't want the job.

Reply to
Anthony

It all depends on whether you can take a pilot hole or diimple in the center.

NC hydrojet? I guess so, given amortization, scrap, and programming and operator time.

But they could be trepanned on somebody's mill at far lower cost, or bandsawed to the line and turned with a center dimple.

For raw productivity, though, you'd take a center hole and do it on a drill press at near materials cost.

I tolerance everything and tolerate everyone. I love: Dona, Jeff, Kim, Kimmie, Mom, Neelix, Tasha, and Teri, alphabetically. I drive: A double-step Thunderbolt with 657% range. I fight terrorism by: Using less gasoline.

Reply to
Doug Goncz

I tried them, a large steel panel with various cutouts, powder coated, something like $189 for one, crazy...but for 50 pieces it was $5.61 each, I couldn't buy the dang raw material for less then that! Must be an overseas setup.

Reply to
steve

It would only be about a couple of minutes with a waterjet. Just to see how much time it would take, I went ahead and programmed up my waterjet to make a 7" disk. It took about 30 seconds for me to make a program for a 7" disk, and it will take just under 1 minute to actually cut it. The long part of the job would be lifiting the plate into and out of the machine, which would probably take 2 more minutes. So, a job like this should be done in under 5 minutes and easily in

  1. Making two of them would only take 1 more minute.

At $147 I would say that someone just does not want to be bothered with a small job. There are a gazillion shops out there that can do the work for you. See:

> Two 1/4" 6061 aluminum disc 7" in diameter, nothing more complicated than

Reply to
Carl