tweezers?

Boy I'd love to see a remake of that. Where you could find young comedic genius to play the princess I don't know -- it seems that you could hold a candle to the ear of most young starlets today, and blow it out through the other.

For that matter, I'd love to see a reissue of either of the made-for-TV versions.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

I like these:

Point Splinter Expert tweezers $2.45 ea.

*******************************

THANKS!!! I've been looking for those for 20 years. I bought 2 long ago at a flea market and haven't seen them since. They are the BEST!!!

Reply to
Buerste

On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 05:36:32 -0700 (PDT), the infamous "Denis G." scrawled the following:

Ouch!

Subtotal: $2.45 Shipping: $11.07 Total: $13.52

Same shipping price on 50 items. Go figure.

-- ...in order that a man may be happy, it is necessary that he should not only be capable of his work, but a good judge of his work. -- John Ruskin

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I think the funniest thing I've ever seen on TV was a one-hour Moolighters episode by Bruce Willis and Cybil Shepard, "Taming of the Shrew".

Reply to
Don Foreman

"William Wixon" wrote in message news:ka8Bn.158592$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe12.iad...

thanks very much for all your responses. i USED to have a "miracle point" tweezers, at the time it was the best investment i ever made (it was such a relief to get a days-old splinter out), but i can't find it now (and i'm pretty good about putting stuff back in a specified area). last time i needed-my-miracle-point-and-couldn't-find-it i did what was suggested, i "tuned up" a regular old cheap tweezers, sanding between the mating surfaces and then sanding the front face. that worked pretty good, but... the splinter i had two days ago, i was reaching for something in my tool bag and my pinky finger just happened to momentarily brush against my (old) ball peen hammer's wooden handle and a splinter went right UNDER my *fingernail*. ooch. i couldn't GET it with the (relatively wide tip) tuned up regular tweezers. i NEEDED that narrow fine point of a miracle point. finally i clipped the nail on both sides of the splinter and that exposed the splinter enough so i was able to grab it with the el cheapo tweezers. whew! was glad no part of it broke off inside. in the past, what i usually did, with the miracle point, was to take miniscule nibbles at the skin surrounding the splinter, eventually i'd either expose the splinter enough to grab it or sometimes inadvertently/ADvertently grab the splinter itself. i would imagine the xacto method is better, thanks for that tip, and the iodine tip too. i only recently started to need to wear eyeglasses. there's a miracle point that comes with a magnifying lens, i think i'm going to get at least one of those. i think i'm going to get another miracle point, thanks for the link ($2.45! great price!), this time i'm gonna get 4(!) of 'em. yeah, for me at the time whatever it was i spent on the first pair was a "huge investment". this time i'm gonna have one in the house, one out in the shop and give one to a friend (and have a spare on hand). (and also get four of those "tick keys" too, went exploring in the woods two days ago and i NEVER had so many ticks on me before, picked at least 10 off me and at least 15 off my friend (we got in the car and i said "wow, look at that!" (six ticks crawling on her jeans on her thigh), she *screamed*, lol).

doesn't it suck when you've got a splinter and the very tip of it is exposed and rubs against something, it's like a direct connection to the pain center in your brain, but nearly invisible and you can't find it to get it out. ooch. puts me in a damn bad mood the whole day till i get it out.

i used to wonder if like an MRI machine would have enough magnetism to pull out a steel splinter. lol. what do you think? i doubt it huh?

b.w.

Reply to
William Wixon

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0-- John Ruskin

Ouch! You're right, that shipping stings. I got a few sets when Sears carried them years ago and I use them quite a bit. I'll have to see if they pop up elsewhere.

Reply to
Denis G.

Of course, vernier and electronic calipers also work well.

David

Reply to
David R.Birch

Get em at Harbor Freight and save the $11 shipping

"First Law of Leftist Debate The more you present a leftist with factual evidence that is counter to his preconceived world view and the more difficult it becomes for him to refute it without losing face the chance of him calling you a racist, bigot, homophobe approaches infinity.

This is despite the thread you are in having not mentioned race or sexual preference in any way that is relevant to the subject." Grey Ghost

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Most of Chuck Lorre's work is very funny. Here's a link to those vanity cards that flash momentarily at the end:

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 21:34:11 -0700 (PDT), the infamous "Denis G." scrawled the following:

If I don't have a needle handy, I use my tweezers from the Swiss Army knife I have in my pocket. That knife is smaller than my little finger, but it sure is handy. The toothpick is another handy item, directly opposite the tweezers, as are the nail file, blade, and teeny but sharp scissors.

Classic SD, blue. Victorinox Rules!

-- ...in order that a man may be happy, it is necessary that he should not only be capable of his work, but a good judge of his work. -- John Ruskin

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 23:44:55 -0500, the infamous "David R.Birch" scrawled the following:

FINALLY, a real use for verniers...

-- ...in order that a man may be happy, it is necessary that he should not only be capable of his work, but a good judge of his work. -- John Ruskin

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yes, that show was amazing! It was obviously not done for ratings but the sheer joy of doing something innovative. I'm grateful I still have it somewhere on VHS! Moonlighting seemed to set the standard for co-star tension. Castle, Mentalist, are interesting comparisons... Chet (who actually worked in television...)

Reply to
Chet

My last two MRIs the tech asked "are you a metalworker?" I smiled and said "yes". Both times the tech stopped and stammered as if I'd said something very inappropriate.

Both times, I went into the machine with no obvious issues.

Apparently some questions have no *wrong* answer. :)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

There isn't a best, you know that William. Theres what you can get at the local stores, anything else is getting just plain pretentious. - your not doing microsurgery, after all. Here in OZ, we usually use the point of a knife blade to dig it out. Helps if the knife is really sharp - oh, BTW - why weren't you wearing gloves?......

BTW - anyone using Global brand Japanese kitchen knives? - stuffed if I can get a decent edge on them, its sharp, but rough. Any ideas? - done all the conventional things...got good oilstones, etc..

Andrew VK3BFA.

Reply to
Andrew VK3BFA

Verily.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

The ones I use I got from an electronic surplus outfit in San Jose, were like $1 for 3 pair, refugees from an assembly line. Needed a little TLC and sharpening, work great when I need them. Usually I just carve down through the dead skin with the small penknife blade and raise the sliver via thumb and blade. It's kept sharp for just such emergencies. Saves going through the tool chest.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

From what I've read, MRI might not pull it out but will move it around. Not a good thing depending on where it is.

Wes

Reply to
Wes
[ ... ]

Yep!

One approach which sometimes works is to put a sharp knife blade (or single-edged razor blade) vertical to one side of it and slide it sideways (not lengthwise, unless you want a nice cut to keep the splinter company). If this does not work the first time. slide the opposite direction. If that fails, rotate the blade 90 degrees and slide both ways as before. If the splinter is not a hardened steel the blade will lay it down in one direction or another, dig into the side, and pull it out.

After *that* fails comes the surgery to try to expose it.

They worry about it moving steel splinters around in the eyeball and stirring things up -- and possibly cutting the lens or some other part of the eye on its way through.

However a calloused fingertip is harder to cut through -- so I would suggest soaking the fingertip long enough to soften the skin quite a bit before trying the massive medical super magnet.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

To lots of metal workers I've known, any caliper is a "vernier".

David

Reply to
David R.Birch

When metal working, I only wear gloves on hands I don't need.

David

Reply to
David R.Birch