underground gate valve

Had a totally awful terrible day. Irrigation system sprung a small leak two days ago. Kinda large yesterday. huge today, had to shut down.

Got to dig in soupy mud all day. Some thin enough to run off the shovel, other sticky enough it wouldn't come off the shovel without banging on a rock. Sump pump quit, portable generator quit. Finally got hole dug out by

7:00 P.M.

I hope I can get the parts tomorrow, I'll be lucky.

Anyway, I'm looking for a better drain valve. it can be from 1/2 to 1 1/4 NPT gate valve for underground use. I find the hardware store valves get stiff and then I break the handle off. I'm reaching four feet down with a fork to turn valve. I'm wondering about an entrance service valve for residential water in the city. Know where to get this or something similar?

Reply to
Karl Townsend

A big commercial plumbing supplier should have them, especially an outfit that supplies water authorities, etc..

Reply to
ATP*

HTH

Reply to
rangerssuck

HTH

Thanks for the link but the ones they have are what hasn't been working for me.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Sounds like you could use a curb stop: (unless you absolutely need a gate valve)

ATP*

Not too sure about a ball valve. I know when you get dirt in one, they get impossible to turn.

Say, I looked through their offerings. They have a bronze gate valve with a cross handle. 2035TCH 1 Gate w/Cross Handle $ 18.64 5 6.10

It says FIP thread. is that the same as NPT?

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Take a look at:

HTH rgentry at oz dot net

Reply to
Bob Gentry

Ask a fire system sprinkler contractor, they use the best stuff and the most $$$$, but it holds up under abuse and high pressure.

Reply to
Buerste

Didn't you fsk up your wife's car the last time this happened? Please be careful....

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Nobody buys gate valves any more, you use a ball valve. And if it's all brass and stainless, it isn't going to lock up from rust.

The trick would be the operator, McMaster has one with an oval handle you could work at the bottom of a hole with a wrench.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Are you related to Julie(my SO)? She never lets me forget anything either. This is the SAME connection. I didn't put in all new and I'm paying the price.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Apparently FIP means female iron pipe, so it would be NPT.

Reply to
ATP*

the thread is the same, but the nominal iron pipe size is different.

Reply to
ATP*

Sometimes, having a long memory is a good thing. And I'm sure he says it because he cares...

I think you'll be fine, if you can keep a 60 year old apple packing line running you must have "the touch" - but not everyone does.

I can sympathize - Because when you see someone about to do (or doing) something dumb yet *again*, and you know it's never gone well the last five times they relied on their "Mad problem solving skillz" and why in detail, and they won't stop after you ask nicely...

You have to club them over the head with a history lesson.

With my dad I have many to choose from, most notable being the Be-Yoo-Tee-Ful 1967 Bonneville Convertible with the 460 that he burned up in Downtown L.A. Traffic when the lower radiator hose blew.

Famous Last Words, repeated many times over the course of ten minutes with increasing insistence: "Don't worry about it, it'll cool down when we get out of this traffic and get moving..."

Engine toasted to a nice golden brown, Car scrapped for pennies.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

No. It was such a memorably story that I've used it as an example of how badly a project can go.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Might help you with your decision making abilities. 26 Reasons What You Think is Right is Wrong

Scott

Reply to
jano

Get a PVC ball valve. May have to glue in thead adapters.

Reply to
Calif Bill