Uses for old car wheels

Hi group,
I have just acquired some old car wheels (without tyres). I fixed one to the workshop wall and hung my spare bandsaw blades around it. What
a neat job! Now I have 3 wheels left but can't think of a use for them. Can anyone help before they go to the local tip?
Regards, Martin Perry
Water hose rack?
RJ

I agree with the water hose storage - works for air hoses also. Makes a good stand for those halogen work lights. Makes a good stand for bench type double wheel grinders, vises, etc. People have also used them for REAL GOOD ground anchors where a hole is dug, wheel with cable attached is buried, and the cable is attached to whatever it needs to for "down guy" support (like a clothes line post, etc). Ken

If they're small-ish wheels when they can be used to hold other things that go on spools (like welding cable) and if they're big then they can be used as bases for grinder pedestals and stuff like that.
Martin Perry wrote:

Weld a bit of pipe on them and use them as pedestal bases for a halogen worklight. A second pipe that telescopes inside the first, and a bolt to lock it, and you have an adjustable height worklight.
Weld similar pedestal, pour concrete into wheel, use as base for vise, small work table etc.
A couple of these laid out in the long grass will stop anybody from driving across your lawn a second time :-).
Cheers Trevor Jones
I use one clamped in a vise to form shepherd hook plant hangers from 1/2" & 5/8" HR round. I welded a piece of 3/4" black pipe to insert the rod into. Sven

Sven wrote: I use one clamped in a vise to form shepherd hook plant hangers (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^ That's a neat idea. May I borrow it?
Besides the uses already posted, I welded up a few to make easily moveable stands for my garden and field sprinkers. Makes great stands to raise sprinkler heads above any vegetation. -- Visit my website: http://www.frugalmachinist.com Contents: foundry and general metal working and lots of related projects. Regards Roy aka Chipmaker // Foxeye Opinions are strictly those of my wife....I have had no input whatsoever. Remove capital A from chipmAkr for correct email address

I make some paint stands out of them. I lay them on the side and weld some pieces of rebar on them vertically. I then use them as bases when painting wrought iron. You sleeve the upright into the rebar, and it holds the piece you are painting upright.
Steve
We have a local "you pull it" junkyard. They weld two car rims together (like an upside down T) and put the cars up on them for jackstands. Very stable. They don't allow jacks in the yard. If you can't remove a part (rare), they bring over a big forklift to assist you. I also use them as blocks under the car wheels when I jack it up to work on it. I remove the jack before I crawl under. I have one as a grinder pedestal base and another as an adjustable height stand for the bandsaw. I have seen them gutted and welded together to form a drum that was made into a wood stove. The shape gives more surface area for heat transfer. If you need to roll sheet steel you can tack it to the rim and pull it with a chain, tacking as you go until you can weld the seem. Then the tacks can be cut and the rim removed. This is a variation of how Cadplans tells you to make the bucket on their Caddiggers. They are very handy items!
--
Ron Thompson
On the Beautiful Mississippi Gulf Coast

****************************************************************************************** Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach. The rest sit around and make snide comments.
Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music Please remove ns from my header address to reply via email !! <") _/ ) ( ) _//- \__/

Unless I'm seriously mistaken, what you call a dumpster is what we call a skip, what we call a tip is what you call a dump. I suspect that dump diving is a whole nother thing to dumpster diving :-)
Mark Rand RTFM
Mark Rand wrote:

Hi Mark,
Right you are! Got confused in the English-English translator for a bit there.
Thanks, Stan
lay the first one flat weld the second one on top at 45deg weld the 3rd one on top of that one at 45deg but the other direction.
make the bottom one spin and you have that old optical illusion of perfectly balanced spinning rings (rims)
you know... like in superman 2, the 'witness stand' the three evil superheroes were trapped in.
other than stands, thats all i got....
-tony

They make a decent small blacksmith forge.
Uses for old car wheels ^^^^^^^^^^^^ I thought of a couple more: Weld on about 2 1/2 ft of pipe, with a Tee on top. Use them to support chain across the driveway of a parking lot. Make two signs that say, "No parking between signs", and...

They seem to use "tip" for dump and "skip" for dumpster.
GTO(John)
I've seen lots used as bases for rural mailboxes. Some people weld a post to the middle of the wheel and attach the mailbox at the top. Others just jam a wooden post in the middle of the wheel and attach the mailbox at the top.
Consulted my boyfriend on this one too... He's seen people lay them in your front yard and plant flowers in them.
And the idea about the posts holding up a chain... You could space a bunch out along the side of your driveway to seperate your driveway from your yard.
chem
Martin Perry wrote:

A (now closed) filling station near here had their rest room keys attached to them.
Erik
Those were aluminum wheels.