using linkages to avoid scraping

I was looking at a source book of mechanisms and ran across a description of a linkage that was patented in recent decades for producing motion in a straight line. Such devices are quite old, and apparently none of them is perfect, but the particular device was described as being so accurate that the error was too small to measure. Moreover, it is claimed that it can carry a weight.

Since "too small to measure" sounds like it is safely within the tolerances usually required of the ways of a lathe, I am wondering whether a device like this could be used as an alternative to having to scrape the ways of a lathe. Instead of using scraped ways, one could use this kind of linkage to move the carriage ways towards the head stock. Undoubtedly one has to worry about vibrations and maybe one would not be able to make it out of angle iron, but the question is whether there is any way to make this approach work.

Ignorantly, Allan Adler snipped-for-privacy@zurich.ai.mit.edu

  • *
  • Disclaimer: I am a guest and *not* a member of the MIT Artificial *
  • Intelligence Lab. My actions and comments do not reflect *
  • in any way on MIT. Moreover, I am nowhere near the Boston *
  • metropolitan area. *
  • *
Allan Adler

Forget it Alan. If there was a reasonable substitute for machine ways someone would have found it by now. One of the earliest straight line motion devices was James Watts straight line motion that he employed on his engines. The piston rod was held in nearly a straight line between the beam and the piston eliminating the need for a crosshead, which came later. "Motions" such as Watts and others that trace a straight line are usually unable to stand much in the way of side thrust and they are generally only useable over a very limited distance..

*
*
*
Bob Swinney