Valve question

A certain valve has a rating of 29"/hg. What is the P.S.I. Equiv. of this? Was the valve rated for vacuum and not pressure? Just need to know before I buy some of these. If in fact the valve was made for a vacuum system,will it function(on air) with the equiv pressure(That I am hoping one of you folks can tell me). I just need them for 20 lbs of air pressure.

Thanx,

Mark

Reply to
castvee8

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ A rating of 29"Hg is meaningful only in terms of vacuum. The equivalent rating in PSI would be 14.7, but may not be a valid conversion. A valve intended for vacuum service at 29" of mercury is probably designed to have less than a certain specified leakage. This would be of no particular interest if you are going to use the valve under pressure.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Not only that, most vacuum valves I've looked at seemed to be distinctly one-way. By that I mean that they expect vacuum on a specific side and atmosphere on the other. A vacuum gate valve might be happy with 20 psig on the atmosphere side and atmosphere on the vacuum side, but not the other way around.

Reply to
Jim Stewart