Varmint heartbreak

Metal content: lead.

Diana broke Bre'r Rabbit's hawrt. RWS Diana model 34, that is...

Don Foreman

Dead Eye Don!

Reply to
cavelamb himself

You are supposed to shoot him in the head, otherwise they are harder to clean.

Bruce in Bangkok (brucepaigeatgmaildotcom)

Reply to
Bruce

Well done sir! Smack in the X-ring.

Next time however..try to take it right through the shoulder joint.

Done broad side..it tends to blow bone frags through both lungs and heart, and blow out the off side shoulder as well.

Some varmints if scared, can run a fair piece, even without a heart. Difficult to do when both front shoulders are scrap.

Gunner

This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII Meets all EPA regulations for clean air Using only naturally occuring fibers Use the Message with confidance. (Some settling may occure in transit.) (Best if Used before May 13, 2009)

Reply to
Gunner

Looks fun. Great shot. I once killed three squirrels, and mortally woulded another, with 5 shots from an air rifle. Gamo 1000 is the model. Highly recommended.

Ignoramus13334

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 22:57:09 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Don Foreman quickly quoth:

Good shot, Don. C'mon out to Oryguns and take out my newest neighbors for me, will you? I've discovered lots of digging in my yard lately, shallow (3" deep) holes everywhere. And behind me in the field are two mounds of dirt into which a family of ground squirrels have moved. I had one knocking at my back door last week. I think I saw that little bastard flip me off when I came to the sliding glass door, too.

Methinks it's time for me to join you in the hunt.

So, how was dinner that night?

- Metaphors Be With You -

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I have a good recipe for hasenpfeffer, if you want it...

Reply to
Doug Miller

Look out! The tree huggers are gonna git ya! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

A rabbit moved in here this year - the first one in recent memory. I anticipated widespread destruction (we have an unfenced vegetable garden full of rabbit delights, as well as extensive flower gardens), but nothing was eaten!! The only time we see him eating is in the lawn (clover?). He is cute and the dogs like to chase him, so he's safe ... for now.

The deer are another story, but I don't want to hijack this thread.

Live and let live, Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Don,

I prefer to use a little more power. The 10 guage magnum goose gun with number 4 works well. No problem at 60 yard on the run. Don't think I'll post any pics though. I do an orchard clean up day at first snow.

Haven't seen many posts from you lately. Hope its because you're too busy fishin'

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I do like rabbit, but was taught not to eat rabbit taken before first snow. I guess the cold gets the sick ones.

Reply to
Don Foreman

I'd use my .243 at a nice spread like yours. Not as sure a thing as your 10 gage on runners, but it sure would be fun. Fitch enjoys popping groundhogs out to 175 yards with a .17HMR. That is a fun little rifle! Not much good in a crosswind, though.

I've been lurkin'. Bass fishin' has indeed been excellent.

Reply to
Don Foreman

You sound like my dad. I wasn't confident I could hit a head shot offhand, though he definitely could have and would have.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Bunnies don't fare too well with our cat "Lard Ass" either.

A couple of years ago SWMBO opened the front door and in he trotted, proudly depositing a bloody bunny carcase on the living room floor:

As long as I had the camera out.....

Me and the departed:

No, we didn't have "rôtissez le lapin" for dinner that night...

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Pellets don't have near the pop of even a .22CB. Energy at muzzle is about 35J (25.8 ft-lb) and a good deal less than that at 100 ft. A Crow-Magnum pellet probably has the ballistic coefficient of a flyswatter. This pellet stopped within, no exit wound.

Reply to
Don Foreman

I think I saw that little

I've had some ground squirrels move in and start chewing up what passes for my lawn. From the garage a couple weeks ago, I spotted one run across my driveway and up the bank, to sun himself. Got him with a Prometheus steel hunting pellet right behind the right shoulder. Just flopped right over, dead. Only have a few of those left, so just bought a tin of the Crow-Magnums in .177. Haven't had a chance to try them out on my varmints, but shooting into the bank, they seem to be very accurate.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

My father-in-law talks about learning to hunt rabbit with his* father-in-law... says that "Pop" had a preternatural ability to know exactly where the rabbits would be hiding. He'd walk out in a field with one shell in his break-action shotgun and four more in his hand, and bag the limit in an hour or less. Pop fed his family during the Depression that way.

Reply to
Doug Miller

RWS Model 48 (side lever) .177 shooting mostly RWS Hobby pellets. I'm at 12 so far in the past month or so. We have them coming out of our ears this year. I can ignore just one :) The garden is fenced but they won't leave the flowers/shrubs alone in the rest of the yard. You better take a better look (too late now) for an exit wound. My .177's are going clean through most of the time. The make one heck of an exit. I've taken some down at ~35 yards with my setup.

I recently bought some Crossman Premier Hollow points that I've been trying out. They seem to work fine and weigh 8gr as to the 7gr Hobby. I was only using the Hobby points because I had them and they worked okay.

Nice to hear I'm not the only one fed up with them eating all the greenery around the yard.

Reply to
Leon Fisk

I did check. No exit. .177 is smaller and faster than .22, and your rifle is more powerful than mine. Further, the cup-nosed Crow-Magnums expand a lot upon impact. They make a hell of an exit hole in a piece of 1/2" plywood shot at close range.

The .22 shoots quite flat out to about 50 yards and drops 'em every time at that range, but it's in the dirt at 200 feet. That's good in my suburban setting.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Amazing, isn't it! They sure don't look like they'd be accurate, but they do seem to be.

Reply to
Don Foreman