Varmint heartbreak

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 09:36:18 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, Jon Anderson quickly quoth:

I have Grandpa's old Winchester .22 ready for these guys the next time they're out sunning themselves.

=:0

What did the bank tellers and FBI have to say about that? ;)

- Metaphors Be With You -

Reply to
Larry Jaques

RWS made a .25 caliber in the 48 line for awhile. I looked around a little bit recently and I don't think it is offered anymore. In fact it looked like RWS had discontinued a whole bunch of models. I can't afford another one right now anyway and the .177 seems to be doing the job just fine...

I'm in a rural setting (38 acres) and could use something with powder but I like the discreet job done by the RWS.

If I remember right there really wasn't much difference between the 34 and 48 other than cost and break-barrel verses side-lever cocking. I know I really like the side cocking with nothing in the bore line-up moving around on top. Mine is rated at 1100 fps in .177 version and I see the .22 version is 900 fps. Just took a look and you can still get the Model 34 in .22 and it is rated at 800 fps.

These are really nice, serious guns for anyone curious or mildly interested. Better quality than many powder models...

Reply to
Leon Fisk

I've seen a deer run on just it's back legs after a shot like that. Missed th' heart but blew out both front shoulders. Made it about 200 ft before it went down. Weird to watch.

Snarl

Reply to
snarl

I've got one too, and like to use BB caps, but the cases don't always extract cleanly. I can reload the pellet rifle faster and it's still a touch quieter.

LOL, good one!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

I shoot a .20 Sheridan (with some mods) which to me..is the best of both worlds.

Gunner

This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII Meets all EPA regulations for clean air Using only naturally occuring fibers Use the Message with confidance. (Some settling may occure in transit.) (Best if Used before May 13, 2009)

Reply to
Gunner

Ayup. But it didnt go a quarter mile.

And it left a hell of a blood trail.

Gunner This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII Meets all EPA regulations for clean air Using only naturally occuring fibers Use the Message with confidance. (Some settling may occure in transit.) (Best if Used before May 13, 2009)

Reply to
Gunner

Easy one to find alright.

I owned a 200 acre Christmas tree farm in western WA. Lot's of forest rats. Only redeeming factor going for them bastids is they taste real good. Anyway, my big city buds liked to come out to th' farm and bang one, drink, get away from their Ol' ladies, yada, yada. I was th' guide.

Had a guy in th' PU truck bed as I was driving down to a popular spot where th' overgrown rats liked to munch on th' apples. I had no idea he was gonna shoot one en route, surprised th' shit out of me when he did. Stopped and watched that bastid run on it's hind legs and drop damn near on th' rabbit trail we used for a road.

Had it bled, gutted, thrown in th' back of th' truck and back to th' cabin about 15 minutes after we'd left. Prefer that over trackin' th' f****rs through th' deep woods for hours on end, any Ol' day!

Snarl... yummm, fresh backstrap, goood!

Reply to
snarl

I accidently picked up some .22 field pellets and my only air rifle is .177.

I should:

[ ] Give the pellets away [ ] Melt them down and make 1/2 of a .62 cal rb for my underhammer. [ ] Buy an air rifle to use the ammo.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 02:39:00 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, Wes quickly quoth:

Got my address?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Duhh! ;-) Go haunt garage sales, you'll find a Mom getting rid of one for cheap so her precious baby can't put an eye out with it...

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

It depends on how much money you have to play with. One of these would be awfully nice to have around:

Don't forget the scope, mount and a few more pellets when you put in the order :)

I can vouch for the Model 48 in .177 cal for being an awfully nice gun.

Reply to
Leon Fisk

snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote in news:mxMni.23367$Rw1.12919 @newssvr25.news.prodigy.net:

Limit? on RABBITS?!?

Next, you'll be claiming that there are SEASONS and/or LIMITS on Squirrels!

Reply to
RAM³

Deer season is when they get into my orchard ;) Free men own guns - www(dot)geocities(dot)com/CapitolHill/5357/

Reply to
Nick Hull