A teacandle stand

Unabashed and even flagrant metal content, beware!

Don Foreman

Heartwarming story. Best time spent with family is always doing something together. A project like this builds bonds that last a lifetime. That's a pretty smart lady that knows to come up with something that needs dad's help.

Somehow, I'll bet the finished project will be up to the Foreman standard of excellence we at RCM have seen before.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Hey Don-

Not to nitpick, but it looks like the cutting and brazing operations are awfully close to combustibles. Locally, a couple of years ago a guy burned down his house to the basement (a new and supposedly up-to-code 4 bdrm split level) with an angle grinder. Sparks-smolder-flare-gone.

-Carl

Reply to
Carl Byrns

Reply to
Mark F

"Carl Byrns" wrote: Not to nitpick, (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Also, not to nitpick, but next time tell her to take off her watch, or it will wind up looking like mine. (With little pits and bits of slag on the crystal.)

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Mark- Having lived through one auto shop fire and seen the immediate aftermath of a house fire (kid set a mattress on fire in my friends rental property- the fire dept was on scene in 2 minutes.) I can tell you that there is nothing to about. Fire moves unbelievably fast through a structure- Hollywood doesn't do it right at all- about one foot a second. Measure the distance from your shop to the farthest point in your house and convert feet into seconds. That's how long you have to escape direct contact. The volume of smoke is another thing Hollywood gets wrong- you can't see a damn thing in a fire. I keep my welding shop spotless and my wood shop dust free (the tablesaw and planer can generate enough sawdust in a weekend to fill a garbage can).

Sleep tight.

-Carl

Reply to
Carl Byrns

SNIP

Ummm.....nobody else asked so, .....Hey Don,are you related to your daughters Mother??

Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Was once married to her, decades ago.

Reply to
Don Foreman

I forgot- two volunteer firefighters died when the floor caved in.

-Carl

Reply to
Carl Byrns

Very dramatic, Carl. Thank you for your concern.

An anglegrinder or chopsaw can throw large hot sparks capable of igniting combustibles 15 feet and more, well beyond one's sphere of immediate attention. I do not use those tools except outdoors, even during winter. Plasma sparks start an inch above the concrete floor and go straight down. Lightweight ricochets feather out in just a few inches. (Note the photo) Payin' attention is still prudent.

It is unquestionably best to have a spotless welding shop of considerable size made of and containing only non-combustible materials. How nice for you!

Reply to
Don Foreman

Good catch, Leo. I didn't think of it because I wear Casio "shop watches" with glass crystals and plastic bands. The first one eventually got as you describe. Current one is 5 years old, still looks brand new.

I think most of the pits and pocks came from grinding rather than welding or plasmacutting. The watch is under the glove gauntlet when welding, and plasma detritus goes away from the user.

Still, it would have been very easy for her to take hers off and put it in her purse.

Reply to
Don Foreman