Wanted: 1/8 - 27 NPS (or NPSM) Hex Die

The subject tells it all. I've gone nearly blind googling for such a thing so perhaps if someone knows of a supplier they could help.

I'm converting an old chandelier from candelabra bulbs and fittings to regular medium base sockets. At the end of each arm there's a 4 inch

1/8" nipple brazed into the arm. I plan on cutting the nipple to about 1" with a hacksaw and anticipate some thread damage so I'd like to be equipped to reform the thread.

Everyone (including my local hardware store) sells NPT but this is a tapered thread and I need a straight thread aka a "National Standard Free-fitting Mechanical Pipe Thread".

Reply to
LifesUnfair

Au contraire, Mon Frere!

The pipe die will do a great job as the pitch is the same. Just don't screw it on too far. It's actually very difficult to get a straight die of such large diameter and fine pitch to engage accurately enough to repair the described thread damage. With the tapered thread die, the taper guides engagement. File the sawed ends accurately square for easier threading, and debur.

Doug Goncz Replikon Research Falls Church, VA 22044-0394

Reply to
DGoncz

Take the base of a socket and thread it onto the nipple before cutting. Cut to length and unscrew the base - the cut threads will be straightened. If you can put a slight chamfer on the cut end first, so much the better. This always works for me.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Isn't a hex die, but if you get a Ridgid pipe threader (e.g. model 00-R or 12-R) you can order 1/8-27 NPSM dies for it. Be warned, the pipe threader will cost some moola, you will need a 1/8" drophead for it and then you'll have to order the dies, but you will have a real nice threading tool.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Oh. I just reread your article. People are so freaked about cutting off threads! You do *not* have to thread on a die first! The fastest way to dress cutoff threads is with a belt sander or disk sander, just spin the part in your fingers, held at a slight angle so as to impart a bevel to the threaded end, and it will spin right on.

I recently was working on freeing a stuck spindle in a machine tool. The spindle is threaded with a male thread on one end. I was tapping on the back end with a lead hammer when suddenly it flew out the other end, doing a perfect nosedive onto the floor, peening over the end threads nicely. Not to worry, I whipped out my NES-1 rethreading tool, expanded the jaws, clamped it into the thread, and backed it off, clearing most of the jammed thread. A few strokes with a thread file, and the spindle was saved (WHEW!!!).

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Can't you use a round die?

tomcas

Reply to
briansmith502

Reply to
holy joe

Why not? Great idea, thanks. And they actually deal with peasants such as myself! I bought one.

Reply to
LifesUnfair