WAY OT: Elderly care

I'm tapping into some of your OTHER wisdom that has served me well in the past.

I'm trying to find a live-in person to take care of my elderly parents and having no luck. The current lady that lives in is getting married and gave us two weeks notice. I have contacted churches, elderly homes, friends and run ads starting Sunday. I'm WAY open to any tid-bits of advice that you can offer.

Thanks, and sorry about the non-ferrous post, I am building a new 20 ton hydraulic press thanks to somebody's post about cheap cylinders at surpluscenter.com.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Try tapping into your local Filipino/a community, bulletin boards in grocery stores, that sort of thing. A lot work as nurses and in other "people care" professions. As always secure things like checkbooks and valuables before trying out new people, and watch for "friends" of the employee and be sure to check their references (sad experience speaking here). Typically in the situation you describe they would have arranged for a friend to get the job before giving notice. They are not the most fastidious neat types, if cleanliness is a big issue.

But you may have to just cut to the chase and go straight to an agency as time is running short and you want to have some time and options. If the person you hire has a large galaxy of similar friends and relatives you may only have to do that once.

Photos? Drawrings?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Call your County or State "Office of Aging" or such (one of those nasty government agencies we pay useless taxes for).

My wife and I provided hospice care for my Mom when she was in end stage congestive heart failure. They provided transportation services to the dialysis clinic and some home health equipment. They also had money to assist with in home care, but we did not need that help. It was somewhat limited then (about 3 years ago) and may well not be available now.

Anyway, they had a load of resources and information.

Reply to
dddd

Spehro Pefhany wrote: (clip) They are not the most fastidious neat types, if cleanliness is a big issue. (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^ Well, I guess prejudice is not dead.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

against filth? i am a pig, but only know that because of my 30 yr marridge to a German. dunno how the Philipinos rate on some scale, probably no worse or better than the Chinese or Japanese.

there is more than one class in most countries. ymmv, --Loren

Reply to
lcoe

Yes, a valid criticism, Leo. Just a cultural (not racial) trend I've noticed with the eight or so recent immigrants that we've employed over the years and that I thought might bother some (I'm hardly a neat freak, you should see my desk). Individuals vary. If they grew up in Switzerland, things would probably be different.

Some will also undoubtedly lack the (far more important, IMHO) good side (caring, responsible) that I mentioned in the part you snipped.

In Hong Kong, prospective nannies are required to take a training course to get them used to "Western" standards, particularly in food preparation. They are used to leaving food (chicken, pork etc.) at room temperature way too long for my liking (hours). Food poisoning could be serious for elderly people. Asian cooking involves high temperatures and a lot of fine grease gets into the air. I had to install a special "Sakura" high-velocity range hood with fat exit pipe and removable grease collectors to keep things under control.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Drawring? Are you in Texas?

Fred

Reply to
ff

Cheeky monkey!

-- Simon the bathtub boy, aka Trawna native Mike Myers

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

--Where do you live? A friend of mine does this for a living and is between jobs, seeking a new situation at the moment. He's in the San Francisco Bay area...

Reply to
steamer