Weird adapter -- Morse #2 to Jacobs #5

I have an adaptor on my desk that is very strange. It is a Morse #2 to Jacobs #5 adaptor. The jacobs size is 3x wider than the Morse part. I cannot imagine why would anyone want to connect a probably giant chuck with Jacobs #5 shank, to Morse #2 tapered anything. Very odd.

Ignoramus19948

JR North

Morse tapered drills. If you have a set of drills - how about J #5 set from 1/16 to 3/4". Could you pick them up ?

Mart> I have an adaptor on my desk that is very strange. It is a Morse #2 to

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

The #20 chuck had a #5 taper mount. It was 3/8-1" capacity, 3-9/16" in diameter. A 2MT taper might have meant using it in a woodworking scenario?

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Good point, I think that it will work for woodworking.

Ignoramus19948

You never know what you will need. My 3 spindle drill press has morse #2 shafts. Also the chuck could have been used in a tailstock with a live center. Just don't try to get too much torque through the morse 2 or it will at least twist off the tang.

John

Reply to
john

According to Martin H. Eastburn :

[ ... ]

[ ... ]

Hmm ... given that the Jacobs taper end of things puts the socket towards the drill rather than towards the spindle, I can't see a set of drills with Jacobs tapers, or a need for an adaptor for such.

No -- such adaptors are normally for mounting a drill chuck -- or perhaps something like a tapping head to the spindle of a drill press, lathe, or milling machine.

Granted, I can't imagine any reasonable need to mount that large a chuck onto a MT-2 spindle. It would almost certainly spin in the socket, or if it was held by the tang, it would likely wring off, or spin the tailstock ram in its socket. :-)

I was pushing it when I used a MT-3 socket to MT-2 shank adaptor to use MT-3 drills in the tailstock of my lathe -- before I got the proper tailstock with the MT-3 socket to use my 3/4" to 1" set of drills.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols