Welding aluminum with ac arc?

I got an airplane parts catalog. They sell aluminum tubing. They also sell some arc rods that it says can be welded with either ac or dc for aluminum.

ANyone use these and do they work well? I am betting not, especially for small tubing.

Reply to
stryped

they make ugly but decent welds on plate. Tubeing? I suspect aint gonna happen

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child - miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke

Reply to
Gunner

I use utp48 rod dc+. They run real fast, but not for long as the flux flows over the bottom of the rod every 2" or so. You'll have to keep knocking the flux off the tip though. Maybe not pretty, but handy as hell. I think they flow a very smooth if sloppy bead. The flux is a pain to work with, but it shields as good as argon. Good penetraion too, with a little practice. Much better than aluminum brazing rod. Neat as hell to keep a handful in the leather duffel bag alongside my maxstar 150.

Reply to
sse-16bl