Welding steel to cast iron head?

If it's just to mount a block on a castiron base, I'd drill four holes; two for dowels to keep the block from shifting, two tapped for small screws to keep the block from lifting off. Or, some kinds of rivet might be good (the expands-at-bottom type like for blind holes in concrete). Then I'd butter the holes and mating surface with RTV silicone and mist it with water (to start it curing) and screw the block down.

Preheat for brazing in cast iron is a nuisance. Takes hours.

Reply to
whit3rd

Sunworshipper fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I never mentioned you. In fact, it was a shotgun comment based upon a number of folks who both rale about top posting and also copy the entire thread for every one of their posts.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

=A0-- Peter Minard

What have I EVER said that would suggest that I would do that? We disagree on most political issues, but gimme a break, huh?

Reply to
rangerssuck

=A0-- Peter Minard

BTW, What Rangerssuck would do is to heed Ernie's advice (TIG braze it with some Silicon Bronze filler), but having neither the equipment nor the skill to do it myself, I would find (and pay) a professional.

Reply to
rangerssuck

I just follow the average way, I can highlight the whole thing and shit can it, but I have never top posted.

If ya follow the tree it most certainly does point at me.

No big deal.

But see if I keep doing that others are gonna bitch, cause I can be fragmented and if there is nothing to look back at they don't faller.

SW

Reply to
Sunworshipper

Stick it on with boogers and be done with it!

Reply to
Buerste

[ ... top posting ... ]

Are you sure that it is the same people doing both?

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

s/Sometimes/Never

In that case, trim everything except one or two sentences that embody the essence of what it is you agree with.

Agree. Sort of. I generally just hit tab to avoid scrolling.

Absolutely agree. I _might_ even remove the "almost."

Reply to
Steve Ackman

Staying on topic (If not with the group, then eat least with the subject) is also appropriuate.

Reply to
rangerssuck

I snagged a single stick of Evadour? Silicon Bronze today down in LA. Couple old 'uns who run two different welding shops were in my favorite welding distributor (Sims-Orange, Santa Ana) and thats what they suggested, using tig.

Ill do it this evening and report tonight.

Thanks all

Gunner, just back from 3 days in LA

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I welded pipe flanges for 1" black iron pipe - the large flat with screw holes.

I stick welded them in the middle of A36 HRS plates used as stands.

Chinese flanges tend to flatten out and slump.

American flanges hold up nicely to stick and I welded through each hole.

Put on the 6' pipe and tried to tip it off the plate - it was on there. I figured it would hold a string of Helium filled balloons.

It was a Ni stick - black flux - have some in the shop still. Paid hazmat!!! Ni is a material that some people become sensitive to.

Mart> >

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Staying tuned. Looks like he's gonna have a go at TIG brazing. I've never tried that so I'll be interested in how that turns out.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Lots of ways would work. But the entire job should have been completed over a weekend without any outside help. As in, take spring compressor to wrecker Sat. morning and pick up decent used heads. One other stop for top end overhaul kit. Clean, check, lap valves, replace seals. Re and re on Sunday. Heck, I once dragged a dead beater into my shop on Friday night, installed an auto trans. rebuild kit, and drove out Monday morning. Most of the time was spent fabbing pullers and wrenches using modest equipment. Of course, I was driven by the need to make a living in order to pay my bills. Gummer's modified deadbeat method is to pay a "mechanic", tow home later, write about poor job, start over, more writing about minor wrinkle, etc. Reminds me of a couple of acquaintances. One was pulling a cam and managed to puncture his radiator with it. The other stabbed himself in the eye with a screwdriver while removing a motorcycle carb. Main difference being that neither of those guys would waste their time bragging about having a mechanical "knack".

Wayne

Reply to
wmbjkREMOVE