What $15 could buy you

From an auction

65 lbs -- Stoody 21 hadrfacing rod (4% iron) 40 lbs -- 308, 316 staniless rod 16 lbs -- Nickel 99 cast ron welding rod 70 lbs -- 7024 steel weldnig rod 10 lbs -- Certanium 707 SP -- all metal repair rod 40 lbs -- everything else?

Reply to
Ignoramus4844

You got tooken. I got twice that much last week at a yard sale for $3. Of course, I'm still waiting for the guy to deliver it....................

Steve ;-)

Reply to
Steve B

Hopefully the rods work for you. I bought some hard facing rods off ebay and in the end they'll go in the scrap metal bin as they are almost impossible to use regardless of current AC/DC and polarity. An email to the maker indicated that they are quite old and have likely absorbed moisture at some point but baking didn't help any. I note that some of the rods pictured seem to have rusted on the end , one bit of advice I read regarding rods was to bend one and if the core wire was rusted they're shot. In the end I bought some new comparable rods, it's for an anvil repair, and they weld beautifully.

Reply to
David Billington

Was that "free delivery from Lagos"? ;-)

Ignoramus4844

Dave, we'll see, they have scrap value in any case. They are 60% cobalt, and only 4% iron. The stuff with rusted ends is 6010, I do not care for it any way. I will give it away to someone.

I will try the hardfacing rod, I am optimistic, it is not like low hydrogen and looks like it never got wet or anything. I will try to make some sample welds.

Ignoramus4844

I welded a little. The arc is a bit finicky if I do not keep the distance. But it welds and flows nicely.

Ignoramus4844

Ignoramus4844 fired this volley in news:bPSdnWAV_55PqNrQnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

thanks... I have the CAM, and the skills, only not the experience or the parts.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Ignoramus4844 fired this volley in news:bPSdnWAV_55PqNrQnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Weirdly, my post showed up under another thread... re-posting

LS

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

weird!