What are these pliers designed for?

Henry Kolesnik

Fair Radio has two original manuals for the TS-155 signal generator on that page.

TS-155,-A/UP IM-TS-155 2 SIGNAL GENERATOR TECHNICAL MANUAL $17.00 each

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Michael:

Maybe when I had my wisdom teeth removed they left my dumb teeth in, but I don't see how your post answers the OP's question.

To the OP, can you read the name on those pliers and see if Google gives you a clue?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

It was mentioned on another newsgroup, but didn't have a link to the photo. The message was marked read, and deleted, so I couldn't reply to it. The originals at Fair Radio were less than some dealers want for bad photocopies.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

What is the exact wording for the patent date?

Either that or a close up photo of that area. I can't quite make out the numbers and didn't find anything guessing at them...

Reply to
Leon Fisk

US Patent: 738,444

Reply to
WWS

A "Combined Pipe and Nut Wrench". See the following link for the complete patent details:

Leon Fisk

Leon Thanks for the find. I can't find the tool as I stashed it somewhere but it'll showup. These are pretty small and I assume he meant to make larger ones except that he mentions it being a safe pocketable tool. There's a U shaped slot which is a wire cutter that I didn't see mentioned in the patent. Anyone have a bigger pair?

Reply to
Henry Kolesnik

To be truthful, not much work with the actual patent number...

Here is another website that will provide you with a bit more information:

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and read the description text.

Reply to
Leon Fisk

A bit more info from an auction page:

=== "0710. WM. HJORTH JAMESTOWN N.Y. - PAT DEC 15, 1896 - - 6" Earliest model of the combination wrench and pliers (with wire cutter, screwdriver, and tack puller) advertised as "The Lightning Wrench". Patented by John F. Tiner , Sutherland Springs, Texas. Bright nickel-plate on this hard to find smallest size. (not in Schulz, see Cope pg 168)

0711. WM. HJORTH JAMESTOWN N.Y. - - 7.25" slightly larger model of The Lightning Wrench like above. Markings hard to read. (not in Schulz, see Cope pg 168)

0712. WM. HJORTH JAMESTOWN N.Y. - PAT SEP. 8, 1903 - - - -

9.25" improved version of the lightning Wrench with replaceable lower jaw inserts. Patented by Arthur W. Hjorth of Jamestown. Minor dings, some markings hard to read) (not in Schulz, see Cope pg 168) === Found here, about half-way down the long page:

and from another auction page:

===

1052. Lot of two: (1.) Unmarked - - 12.25'' Hjorth Lightning Combination Wrench with plier wrench, wire cutter, nail puller, pry bar. Patented by (on 9-8-1903) and mfg. by Arthur Hjorth of Jamestown NY. (2.) WM HJORTH & CO. - JAMESTOWN, NY - PAT SEPT. 8, 1903 - - 9.25" Hjorth Lightning Combination Wrench like above but with replaceable lower jaw insert. === Found here:

You can try searching some more. Try using something like:

hjorth lightning wrench

Reply to
Leon Fisk

One problem with this tool is the lack of leverage because the fulcrum is too close to the center and that may be why we don't see many. The handles could have been longer. Mine have a claw for pulling tacks and screw driver but screw driver blade tip is twisted because the metal must be too soft.

Reply to
Henry Kolesnik

I find this a common problem with multi purpose tools. They might work for several possible uses but only poorly and too poorly made to do anything well except extract money from pockets. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

My experience is that the more things a tool does, the less things it does well...

Erik

Reply to
Erik

Multi-purpose tools are okay if used properly. I've had good luck with my Leatherman Original. Sure beats going down several floors, through security doors, to the service truck and then back just to get a screwdriver to unhook a phone wire :)

Now if I have to do some serious work, it is well worth going after the proper tools.

Reply to
Leon Fisk