What is it? Set 273

It looks like a Model Rectifier Corporation unit to me. But yes, early remote control.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

Check out this link, and scroll down about halfway to the "Indiana State Fair, Aug 2002". Is that the same mill?

riverman

I replied to this post over 5 hours ago and it has shown up yet, hopefully this won't turn out to be a double post, here is what I posted earlier:

Had I known that it was a cane mill I would have posted a different reply, I had been told that it was a sorghum press for making sorghum molasses and I hadn't yet found one on the web. So I agree that Howard's answer was correct. Also, thanks for the links, I'll use one on the answer page.

The first item this week, the long tool with a blade and U-shaped piece, hasn't yet been guessed correctly but as a clue I'll say that it's related to the cane press.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

It's probably the exact same one, the antique machinery show that I went to was in Indiana, but it wasn't at the state fair. Good job on finding that.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

This is another post that I answered 5 hours ago but it also seems to have gotten lost:

You got the last part of this device's name right (ometer), but it's not for horses.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

What about defensive artillery fire? A soldier walks from the gun position to a certain landmark. Then they know the range when the enemy advances. It could be for sharpshooters, too.

Reply to
E Z Peaces

Nope, it's not related to any type of weapons.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

If you look on eBay for a Futaba FP-T there's a couple of them for sale that look almost identical except for the FUTABA label.

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

You're 100% correct. But I remember the beige box and a red/green battery meter on a MRC (or memory is fading... International Rectifier?) unit from when I was a kid too. Would've been early Lasnerian 70's.

Did International Rectifier sell remote control systems, or was it always model rectifier?

And I may have been exaggerating about "early", the real early pioneers did it using vacuum tubes as I recall!

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

I used to have a MRC transmitter but it was a 4 channel, 2 stick open gimbal unit. My first used R/C helicopter came with a Citizenship radio, looked a lot like Kraft parts. I had a LaTrax Corvette that had a transmitter like the one in the picture except it was silver/gray color. I guess many of the old wheel transmitters had pretty much the same box & layout.

Reply to
RogerN

The units are the weird part. Assuming one rotation of the big hand for one graduation of the small hand, the units are 1 1/2 ft.

That's too small to be paces and too much math to be yards.

The only things I can think of that might need 18" counting are cornrows.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

Plowing? Fences?

Reply to
E Z Peaces

Neither of those, it wasn't used for any type of work.

Reply to
R.H.

Some muleskinners, who walked, were very productive. I wonder if this pedometer was to pay a muleskinner according to distance.

Reply to
E Z Peaces

Golf?

Reply to
E Z Peaces

??

On the big circuit, each graduation is 10 yards.

The little circuit says miles. Each graduation is 1/4 mile, which just happens to be 440 yards.

I'm not sure who would have used it, though.

Reply to
Ted Schuerzinger

The units are yards, One full revolution (440 yards) is a quarter mile.

Probably for measuring distances for foot (or horse) racing?

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Yes! It's a golfometer. The rest of the answers for this set can be seen here:

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

There are 8 grads to the mile on the small dial.

If the hand moves two grads per rev of the big hand, then that would be true. I don't know this for a fact, but it does make more sense.

Paul K.Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

I wonder if most courses were 9 holes in those days. I think a golfer would walk more than 2.5 miles on 18 holes. Then he'd have to add fractions.

Reply to
E Z Peaces