Reply to
Lobby Dosser

QE II is a ship.

Reply to
Matthew Russotto

...of state being run aground.

Reply to
krw

As I use a scale rule every day, I was very careful when I used the word 'ruler' as I knew it would be picked on whatever I called it.

If somebody could direct me to any information that disproves that 'ruler' is as correct if not more so than both 'scale' or 'rule', I will stand corrected. :o)

David

All I can dig up is-

rule vs ruler, one just measures and the other is a straightedge that may measure (not so sure), one has the measuring marks starting at the end and the other has the marks starting inside the edge (seems more likely).

I think 'scale' could apply to either, just meaning it is used to translate from one scale to another (real/scale, scale 1 to scale 2)

Dave

Reply to
Dave__67

A "ruler" is that plastic or wood thing they made us buy in elementary school, usually a foot long, with a straight edge, and calibrations, typically in inches and fractions, and sometimes centimeters as an afterthought. ;-)

Hope This Helps! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Did you see the picture that I was refering to in the original post?

David

David wrote the following:

A Google search on 'ruler' yields about 26,400,000 results, the first page of which is all about the measuring tool.

Reply to
willshak

The Online Etymology Dictionary (and other sources) specify that a 'ruler' is a strip for making straight (or 'ruled') lines (parenthesis mine)...so traditionally a 'ruler' was a straightedge, while a 'scale' is a device with lines for measuring distance. The thing we use in school is technically a 'scale ruler', however everyone just calls it a ruler.

Reply to
humunculus

What is it called when a Nun uses it as a weapon for cracking knuckles? :-)

Reply to
willshak

Painful?

Reply to
J. Clarke

Heavenly intervention??

Reply to
Roger

Apparently not, and the original post is gone from purging older articles. )-;

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Abuse?

Reply to
Jim in Milwaukee

Its for putting over the cooling water inlets on an outboard motor when trsting it out of the water. You put a cold water hose on the side and turn on a tap. it themn fills the water cooling chambers like when it in the waster.

Reply to
Ted Frater

You are of course correct ( I have on at home), but I think the answer was posted some time back.

Reply to
David