What is it? Set 371

Yes, girls were a distraction, but there wasn't any classes for stuff like this during my time in school...

My Dad and Grandfather on my Mother's side were the scythe experts, especially Grandfather. Sadly he passed away long before I had any interest in such things. Both of them were still swinging scythes to mow misc things well into their 80's. I still use Dad's old scythe and just last year bit the bullet and bought a new one. Wanted one with a brush blade and aluminum snath. I use mine for rough work, weeds, briers, small saplings... really works a treat on them. For that type of work they don't need to be razor sharp. If you plan on cutting stuff like grass though, you want to have it as sharp as you can make it. That is when some peening would be in order along with some serious whetting to touch it up every so often during use.

There are several good websites explaining scythe use too.

Reply to
Leon Fisk

I said that in jest. My high school didn't have shop class, or really anything. Come to think of it, my high school was a jest but I didn't know it at the time.

You're making it sound fun, and I want to go give it a shot, but as there's a foot and a half of snow on the ground I think I'll wait. ;)

BTW, thanks for the word "snath". Chalk up another one for the Scrabble arsenal. I _love_ hearing, "That's not a word!"

RicodJour

I think 2138 is a weight used in an oldtime two-pan balance, usually in a store for measuring things sold by weight.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

...you only had one grandfather? Ummm, okay. Guess it runs in the family. {Yikes!}

May I suggest cloning? Just do away with all of that messy sexual reproduction stuff.

RicodJour

I suspected that, but not knowing how old or where your are from...

I was lucky, we had a decent shop class in high school. Both wood and metal, wish I had put more effort into the metal classes. Nothing in school that would explain how to use a scythe though.

Don't let me woo you, it is work, plain and simple. Wear some decent gloves or you'll most like get blisters to prove it :) Light cotton gloves with the rubber facing work pretty good. Give a decent grip and don't become unbearable during a hot day. I much prefer the sound of swish, swish, swish rather than the annoying BRAAAAAAP from a weed-whacker. I have one, but I don't like using it. For tall weeds and briers I kinda feel that the scythe works better anyway. The downside is that you end up with a lot of long debris, stalks laying around. For me this isn't really a problem though and no different than weed-whackers.

Read, study the part of the book that explains adjusting the handles to your body. Getting them in approximately the right place to begin with is a big help. Work with it that way for awhile before making any major changes. I prefer having both handles on the same side, pointing towards me. My Dad had one forward and one back. If he was still around I would ask him why, but I suspect he just started using a scythe with them positioned that way and just got used to it.

Reply to
Leon Fisk

--------------------------------- Goats, the silent weed-whacker.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

When I was about 12 years old I persuaded an uncle to teach me how to use a scythe. I lived to regret it.

Max (grew up in Shiawassee county, MI)

Reply to
Max

LOL. You ain't lived till you've cleared brush with a brush scythe on a ski slope.

Reply to
Mouse

How about the end of a holder for 20 six-pence coins?

It would be like a roll of 20 nickels, amounting to a convenient 10 shillings or 1/2 pound. The diameter of 2138 is 22mm, while the diameter of a 6 pence was 19mm. The only other coin small enough was the 3 pence, at 16mm.

The spring would have left the stack loose with 19, made it snug with

20, and not allowed 21. That way, anyone who handled the holder would know it contained 20.

Perhaps coins were transferred in a holder from one till to another, or perhaps they were slid into paper rolls.

Reply to
J Burns

Gack! I could barely handle flat terrain.

Max

Reply to
Max

You're right, it is a sixpence holder that holds up to 20 tanners which equals 10 bob. carried in the pocket.

J.P.

US Patents 245 912 (1881), 293 033 (1884), and 366 075 (1887) are for split-cylinder boxes to hold a certain number of coins. A spring-loaded button like 2138 at the end of one of these boxes would make it quick and easy to fill such a box by feel. Presumably the button would be removable in case lint or grit had to be cleaned out.

Reply to
J Burns

Wow! How did you find it!

Reply to
J Burns

I Googled sixpence coin holder! Used to have one myself but I never filled it up.

Reply to
J.P.

Do you have any pics of it? I don't like to complain, but the ebay one has unsightly rust.

Reply to
J Burns

sorry, long gone. perhaps whoever bought it managed to clean it up and open it.

Reply to
J.P.

Good guess! And great job on solving this item, I'll pass this information on to the owner.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Thanks for the link, I'm sure the owner of this one will be happy to get the answer for it.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.