What is it? Set 538

It is what sawyers call an upset swage or hammer swage. It is a variation on the swages used for circular saws In this image the top two are for circular saws and the bottom one is for crosscut.

A "saw set" OTOH is used to bend saw teeth. Usually every other tooth is bent in the opposite direction this is done to create kerf clearance.

A upset swage is a forging tool that forms the tooth metal back to its original shape by hammer blows. There are also lever type swages where one uses a hand crank to shape the tooth.

Here is a good explanation for swaging a circular rip saw.

jim

Thanks for the information, I added 'hammer swage' to my answer for it.

Reply to
Rob H.

Good thinking, I wasn't able to find any boxing counters but I like this idea.

Reply to
Rob H.

I keep looking at the posts, but have not seen answers, in the subject line. Have they been posted?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Look at Rob's post dated 3/28

Reply to
G. Ross

Or -- just go to the original site and scroll down about half way to find the start of the answers.

He typically posts them on Friday evening -- same URL as the original puzzle.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Sometimes I forget

Reply to
Rob H.

[ ... ]

You forget to *post* that the answers are up, but not to put the answers up. I usually look at the site for the answers before I ever get to reading usenet for the evening.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Funny, I have never seen Rob forget to post that the answers are up.

Reply to
woodchucker

Last week, for example. I read the subject lines of each of the posts, and none said "answers".

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

No definitive reason has been found yet for the two counters but the rest of the answers have been posted:

Rob

Reply to
JAS