What is it? XL

219: Battery (cell) terminal (+)

222: Hog-ring plier? For crimping and re-opening a ring clip

223: Pointing tool?

Dave

Reply to
Dave Bell

[ ... ]

O.K. with that deep a cavity, the behavior should be quite similar to a Minnie ball, though the exterior shape is somewhat unusual for one. But I have not seen many (either original or replicas), so it could be common in some areas or calibers.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

If its hollow, its a Minni'e. Or a Paradox..

Gunner

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem. To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized, merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas

Reply to
Gunner

I finally got around to looking at the photo.

Thats a Heath/ Keith style Semiwad cutter, and is likely to have come from a Henseley and Gibbs mould with a second choice being Ideal.

What is the diameter of the second band? If its .429-.433, its likely for the 44 Special and if its .452-.455, its for the .45 ACP, both rounds to be fired typically from a target revolver. Hollow base bullets were very common in the 30s-70s for Bullseye shooters who were shooting light to medium loads at paper targets. The most common such today are 38 Special hollow base bullets, which typically have a totally blunt nose with no ogive.

Gunner

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem. To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized, merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas

Reply to
Gunner

Thanks for the info, and also to everyone else who responded to this one, the diameter at the base is .5625 (9/16"), the other bands appear to be the same.

Reply to
R.H.

Closer to the Lyman 575494 Minie, I think:

Can you check the diameter?

R, Tom Q. Remove bogusinfo to reply.

Reply to
Tom Quackenbush

Correct.

Nope

I don't think it's a pointing tool

Reply to
R.H.

The diameter is just a little larger than 9/16" so it looks like you're right, it's probably a Lyman 575494, thanks for the link.

Reply to
R.H.

(: Good! I was starting to wonder if I was amusing anyone or simply being annoying.

Reply to
B.B.

Mechanical pencil. Umm...of DOOM! There, sounds better now.

Reply to
B.B.

Correct

Reply to
R.H.

These aren't gear teeth, it's actually three separate objects next to each other.

This one isn't a pencil, nor rope/twine.

Nope.

Reply to
R.H.

OOOH!! I didnt know Lyman made that mould. Very nice!

Gunner

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem. To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized, merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas

Reply to
Gunner

Shame they don't have a .6 (.596 true bore) to suit my commercial hunting snyder....

Reply to
Badger

You _are_ posting (or crossposting) to r.c.m - maybe someone can make you a suitable cherry and/or mold?

R, Tom Q.

Remove bogusinfo to reply.

Reply to
Tom Quackenbush

What's with the grooves? I haven't seen them in modern cartridges, though Minies had them. Were these for black-powder revolvers?

Reply to
Matthew Russotto

Yeah, I'm not sure who's getting their ideas from whom. I think that LBT based their design on Keith's, but I don't know if Keith based his design on a previous one or not.

I think that Lyman duplicated bullet designs where they found them and I wouldn't be surprised if this particular design predated Keith. Not to take any credit from Keith - he did a lot to advance/resurrect bullet casting, regardless.

R, Tom Q. Remove bogusinfo to reply.

Reply to
Tom Quackenbush

No problem.

It looks pretty similar, but I wouldn't be too sure that it came from a Lyman mold. That mold might well be based on an a prevoius bullet, designed by someone else.

Note that on the same web page there is a Lyman version of the "Maxi" bullet (mentioned earlier in this thread), which, I believe, was developed, and is still sold by, Thompson Center.

R, Tom Q. Remove bogusinfo to reply.

Reply to
Tom Quackenbush

They (in cast bullets) are to carry lube into the bore, so you don't get as much lead fouling.

Not too common in jacketed revolver bullets (which is what I usually shoot), though some rifle bullets have a groove for the case mouth crimp, so the bullet is not either driven deeper or partially pulled by recoil in the weapon -- or even worse, by the stack of bullets in a tubular magazine. (There, you *really* want a blunt nose, so it does not set of the primer of the next cartridge above it in the magazine. :-)

Out of curiosity -- since this is so heavily cross-posted, why don't we put an indicator as to which newsgroup we are posting from? I'm posting from rec.crafts.metalworking, FWIW.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I think that "Maxi" is a Thompson Center creation. I think the correct spelling is "Minie", with an accent over the "e". I could post it using extended ASCII, but I don't think that my 8-bit ASCII is the same as everyone else's 8-bit ASCII.

As an aside, is there a UNIX/WENIX/Linux standard for 8-bit ASCII?

R, Tom Q. (from r.c.m)

Remove bogusinfo to reply.

Reply to
Tom Quackenbush