What is that man at the lathe wearing?!

Ebay item#3242980003 (no, not me selling...)

Reply to
jt

I think it's a wool overcoat. If you lived in england, where there's hardly any central heating, it would seem like a good idea too.

Similarly one can see some truly amazing gear worn in the old south bend booklets, like the 'how to run a lathe' and whatnot.

I suspect the shops were downright cold because all of the photo subjects are wearing hats, aprons, ties, etc. Some really really funky hats.

Jim

jim rozen

A wool jacket and cotten shirt. Standard lathe operation attire, no?

Reply to
fadeaway

Looks like a good, old fashioned, sports jacket. He's probably wearing a tie to tangle in that Myford's chuck too! BTW, we refer to old blighty as England (note the capitalisation, thanks ;-) I guess central heating was rare most places 50 years ago, but we're tough and can withstand the occasional bone-chilling 25F temperatures we get here in England.

Martin (most definately tongue-in-cheek).

Reply to
Martin Whybrow

After careful study of the picture I conclude that the gent is posing while reading the paper. Check out the pan! The minute preceding the shot contained the line " Just take the bloody picture, I'm late already." lg no neat sig line

Reply to
larry g

LOL. I think my capitalization is, was, and always will be sorely lacking. I recall reading Arthur Hailey's book "Airport" where the female lead character had all the capital letter ground off her typewriter keys! I sometimes lapse into that.

Jim

jim rozen

i have never worked in a place that does machining, but i was in the old sheet metal warehouses that was loaded with the machines at about

3 am in the winter when no one was there.. it was cold as hell and if i had to work there with no heat i guess i would have to be overloaded with some thick clothes also....
Reply to
jim