What is the best way to polish small brass parts mechanically?

What is the best way to polish small brass parts mechanically?

I don't need a mirror finish but would like to get as close as practically possible. These are mostly parts of old clock movements, just heavy tarnish (no paint or heavy corrosion), but too many parts & too intricate to do by hand.

What method and media would be the gentlest on the parts?

I would prefer to tumble if possible as I think vibratory is too loud, but it is not out of the question.

I have no experience using either type.

Thanks MikeB

Reply to
BQ340

No no no! Not for clock gears!

Every bearing and mating surface, every gear tooth, every pinion - ruined beyong repair.

No choice but hand polishing. A "Dremel"-type handpiece with a tiny polishing mop will do the job if you're very careful to avoid the "works" (which, BTW, you should just leave alone).

All the above assumes you want the cleaned-up clock to actually work.

If not, just dump the lot in thiourea to soften it up, then a vibratory or ultrasonic cleaner.

-- Jeff R.

Reply to
Jeff R.

Thanks, I was hoping there was a way to do this. They all need much work to get running & would look alot better shiny as well.

MikeB

Reply to
BQ340

Use with
I use this system for used rifle and handgun brass. It produces a mirror finish in a couple of hours. Heavy tarnish might take a bit longer, or maybe a pre-soak in Brasso.

Reply to
Don Foreman