What material is this "universal joint" sheet metal?

Hi, Guys. My son has this ATV that has a sorta universal joint coupling between the engine and the transmission. It uses 2 metal plates about 4 inches in diameter and about 20 thou thick to act as the flexible part of the coupling. His parts have some stress cracks. I can make new ones, but I don't know what material they should be. Left to my own devieces, I'd probably use 1070 or 5160, but my son says that the parts are only slightly magnetic, and, even though they are 40 years old, there is no rust at all on them, whereas plenty of the other parts of the machine are quite rusty.

I'd hate to make new parts and then have them fail, so I'd apprreciate any input I can get

Pete Stanaitis

----------------------

Reply to
spaco

Is it a u-joint (like on a drive shaft of a car) or is it a flex couple (like on the steering column of a car)?

Reply to
Bob La Londe

If it's similar to the usual flexible disc coupling, stainless. Don't know what grade. These are the ones I'm most familiar with:

Rick

Good question. The application is that of a u joint, but it looks similar to the steering column assy, except that it goes around at 6500 rpms.

Pete Stanaitis

-------------------------------

Bob La L>

Reply to
spaco

It's probably technically a "flex plate" , similar to the one between a car motor and the torque converter . Should be a springy material , with no sharp inside corners . Some of them turn that fast too , and transmit several hundred horsepower .

Reply to
Snag

... and you may have just come up with a potential cheap material to be used for his application. Just have to be able to cut it cold so it doesn't lose its temper.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

If you are anywhere near a Mercedes Benz dealer, go talk to the parts people about the flex plate/u-joints on their sedans. My 1983 300SD uses them in the drive shaft between the transmission and the differential. Since the car is IRS, the differential is mounted to the chassis.

Paul

Reply to
KD7HB

Thank you guys for your inputs.

Pete Stanaitis

---------------------------

Reply to
spaco

Gads...Ive not seen those in years. Why not simply install a standard universal joint, available at any decent motorcycle shop for $15?

Gunner

The current Democratic party has lost its ideological basis for existence.

- It is NOT fiscally responsible.

- It is NOT ethically honorable.

- It has started wars based on lies.

- It does not support the well-being of americans - only billionaires.

- It has suppresed constitutional guaranteed liberties.

- It has foisted a liar as president upon America.

- It has violated US national sovereignty in trade treaties.

- It has refused to enforce the national borders.

...It no longer has valid reasons to exist. Lorad474

Reply to
Gunner Asch

1.1inch pound (max)????

Gunner

The current Democratic party has lost its ideological basis for existence.

- It is NOT fiscally responsible.

- It is NOT ethically honorable.

- It has started wars based on lies.

- It does not support the well-being of americans - only billionaires.

- It has suppresed constitutional guaranteed liberties.

- It has foisted a liar as president upon America.

- It has violated US national sovereignty in trade treaties.

- It has refused to enforce the national borders.

...It no longer has valid reasons to exist. Lorad474

Reply to
Gunner Asch

That's the smallest one...pretty much the same constuction on the larger couplings. I've used those at 1000 foot pounds...

Reply to
Rick