Flexible coupling disc material

Can anyone point me in the right direction for traditional stiff rubber-impregnated-fabric flexible coupling disc material? I need to replace the alternator coupling on a wartime Lister JP set. It's

1/2 inch thick and 9 1/4 inches OD, and has reinforcing plates riveted through it around the 6 bolts. The original ripped apart, and I've seen others showing signs of fraying, so I wonder whether any are left in decent nick. I can get a new one made in nice blue shiny plastic, but if anybody knows where suitable material can be found I'll make one up. Thanks Lucien
Reply to
Lucien Nunes

I don't know of any specific material, but conveyor belt is pretty tough and flexable.

Joules

Reply to
Joules

I was about to suggest that but Joules beat me to it. Where are you? I'm in Oxfordshire and have some about 1/4" thick if you want a couple of pieces.

John

Reply to
John Manders

Out of interest Lucien, where can you get new coupling discs made? I had a new fanbelt made up for the Dt ype gen set, very thin and flexible too, but it came in a vile green colour. A few minutes work with a big thick black felt tip pen soon remedied the situation, and I have no doubt the same trick would work on one of these coupling discs!

Regards

Philip T-E

Reply to
ClaraNET

Sounds like a Renold type coupling, they come in both the reinforced rubber and urethane. Actually, the disc I replaced, was on a Lister irrigation set. I was a bit gobsmacked at the cost!:-(

Tom

Reply to
Tom

A customer of mine has a large chaside loader that he uses on his sileage pit, the hydraulics are driven by a pump attached to the bottom pulley on the engine, when the original coupling broke up we replaced that with two pieces of conveyor belt, its still working well and that was four years ago.

Gary M

Reply to
gary millward

Lucien, if you get stuck, I can cut and punch the rubber for you, but you would need to find the material, though no doubt someone on here most likely has a bit stashed away.

Joules

Reply to
Joules

Thanks for the ideas chaps, conveyor belt seems to be the way to go. I've got a few places checking to see if they ever made a coupling the right size (inc. Renold), but I'm not hopeful. Regards, Lucien

Reply to
Lucien Nunes