Sealant for metal shaft to plastic tubing shaft coupling material

What Loctite product or other brand(s) is recommended for sealing the shaft from a open frame motor to the flexible plastic tubing used to couple with the gear box shaft. I want to use the old piece of tubing. Is that a bad move? (there is a .003" difference in the shaft diameters)

Thanks, Vern

Reply to
w9hly

Just replace the tube with neoprene fuel tube for model aircraft engines, from the hobby shop. It should be a tight force fit and probably would have been when the tube was new, even with this motor instead. It "locked" into shape over time as it dried out slightly.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

Yes.

I prefer the neoprene tube to the NWSL horned ball universal shafts. The shafts are great as long as everything is lined up perfectly but as soon as it isn't, it generates vibration which the tube method seems to absorb.

The horns have to be exactly parallel to each other, and the motor and gear shafts have to be exactly in line otherwise the motion describes ellipses instead of circles. When everything is exactly parallel the ellipses are in phase and cancel out.

But when they aren't, eg with the motor in the tender on a curve, the ellipses are out of phase so the motor and final drive try to run faster and slower at a high frequency WRT each other which manifests itself as vibration and wear.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

Yes, silicone tubing will whip if the distance is too long. My trick is to slip a length of brass rod or code 55 rail into the tubing that's cut about 3mm shorter than the shaft spacing. No more whipping - have used it to span distances of over an inch with no problems. With tubing, you have to 'tune' or center the tubing...once done it's great. Super quiet.

Reply to
C.L.Zeni

Now this is a tip that I will go for. The tubing would 'ride' up the shafts toward the motor and rub the motor frame. Maybe this will prevent that. Thanks!

Vern

Reply to
Vern Seitz

Reply to
C.L.Zeni

I was at my local Ace Hardware the other day and saw they had tubing that was .072" inside diameter, 1/8" O.D. I don't remember whether it was neoprene or something else.

Jay CNS&M Wireheads of the world, unite!

Reply to
JCunington

Cast iron perhaps?

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Nope. Definitely rubber or plastic/silicone. Can't remember if it was black or clear. They had so many examples up on the wall.