What next?

Thanks Ed Since my wife quit her job and started working with me we have been enjoying all kinds of home cooked treats. My favorite is the bread she bakes twice a week. We will be having Ed's Classic Quiche Lorraine soon.

Steve

Reply to
Up North

It's as good as it sounds, Dan. Let us know what you think.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

hx?¥TÛnÚ@}??H(¨¸Æ![#ª*méUUUy\ÛãKXïÝ5ßY»Q E$Qy

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Thanks, Ed...

About how much cheese?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

'Sorry about forgetting the cheese. I posted a correction today, and I hope no one misses it and then finds out there's no quanitity given, when they're in the middle of making it.

About one cup of grated Swiss is good. That's roughly 4 oz. of cheese. Older recipes use less but that's about what most people seem to like.

Bon appetit.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

What's that Lassie? You say that Ed Huntress fell down the old rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue by Wed, 16 Dec 2009 23:30:03 -0500:

well i went out last night and got all the things to make your quiche.

I used a pre-formed frozen pie shell. Blind baked it, like you said. I fried the bacon extra crispy, then sweated the onion in the rendered fat. I wisked the eggs, then added the cream(s). It seamed like a lot of cream for four eggs. I put the bacon (now chopped) and onions in the pie shell and started pouring in the custard, then remembered the cheese. Added the cheese, then topped off with the rest of the custard mix. Had a little leftover.

Baked like you said, hotter to start, then lower heat to finish off.

Wasn't done at all. Kept checking at 15min. intervals. Took an extra

30min. or about one hour total. Part of the pie crust was a little over done, since my oven is a bit uneven. I did use a oven thermometer to set the temps. though.

Still seemed a little soft when warm, cold and firm this morning. I have a cold, so I'm sure I'm missing a lot of flavor, but still quite good.

Reply to
dan

Ha! I wonder if your thermometer reads a bit high. Those times and temps are pretty standard, and they work for me. It's pretty sensitive to temperature. You will have a bit left over if you use a standard pie plate.

Yes, a basic custard, which is what most of it is, is pretty soft when warm. Most recipes call for three eggs, BTW. I use the fourth (as do some others) to make it a little stiffer. My wife likes to let it cool and then re-heat it for that reason.

Thanks for the report, Dan. The second one is a lot easier.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

What's that Lassie? You say that Ed Huntress fell down the old rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue by Sun, 20 Dec 2009 11:33:37 -0500:

Easier?!? How could it be any easier? Well, if I can figure out my oven temps. I guess that would be a little easier.

Anyhow, it's all gone now(burp). I think I will add a little thermal mass to my oven(small apartment size). That should even out any spikes that are reading high on the thermometer.

And when cold and reheated, it was as firm as I thought it should be.

What else would you recommend in the filling?

Reply to
dan

Good point. It really is an easy thing to make.

I've been remiss in posting the butter crust recipe. We've had a lot of activity here, and my son is stuck in the snowstorm in Virginia, which is adding to the confusion. I will get to it. However, as I said, the crust is not a big deal. It's for the perfectionist.

Well, then, I guess it was OK.

Yeah, something is fishy there. But it's a pretty flexible thing. You can make it a lot of different ways and it's still good.

Oh, man, the really creative cooks have come up with a bundle of them. I like spinach, and I like broccoli and cheddar, but there's nothing like Lorraine, IMO.

My suggestion is that you type Quiche Gourmet Magazine into Google, without quotes, and look around. _Gourmet_ has some great recipes and there are other good references to top-quality recipes on Google that mention _Gourmet_. I would avoid anything that isn't from a legitimate gourmet-type source. Most of the recipes on the Web start with a can of Cream of Mushroom soup or a jar of salsa, and they mostly suck.

_Gourmet_, R.I.P. And likewise to Julia Child, the old wheezer who really started Americans on the path to good cooking. My old friend Sheila Elion, the Every Day Gourmet, was one of those, too.

Bon appétit!

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Ed, you mentioned eating barbeque mullet at Fast Eddies in Sarasota. You don't live in FL, do you? I have been scuba diving for fossils in Venice, FL for 25+ years and know Sarasota fairly well. I'm in central FL. We eat at Capt. Eddies in Venice whenever we get down there. Never heard of Fast Eddies. Would you mind directing me there? BTW, don't forget the pie crust whenever you get time. Thanks, Bill.

Reply to
Bill

No, but I did, decades ago. However, my dining at Fast Eddie's occurred more recently, when I spent some time each winter with my in-laws in Englewood.

Alas, Fast Eddie's is no more. There was a string of them.. The one we ate in was on Anna Maria Island, north of Longboat Key.

I don't know when they folded. It's surprising, because the place was always

*packed*.

Anyway, some of the old Fast Eddie's people now run a restaurant on Anna Maria called the Anna Maria Oyster Bar. You could check with them and see if they still serve barbecued mullet. This is a dish for real fish-lovers. If you know mullet, you're probably surprised that there are people who eat them.

Until I had them at Fast Eddie's, my experience with mullet was catching them with cast nets and using them for skip bait. (You take a piece of an old TV antenna and run it up their back from the tail, coring out the backbone, so they flop around like a piece of rubber -- we're talking dead mullet here. Then you rig them like a ballyhoo for skip bait. Troll two mullet on the outside outriggers and ballyhoo on the inside ones. Marlin are more likely to hit the mullet; sailfish, the ballyhoo. But I digress...)

You may have to ask for the owner, because new people may not know the story. There may be another place in the area that picked up the recipe. It is the richest, most sumptuous fish dish I've ever eaten. BTW, mullet is dark-colored, darker than wahoo, and oily. But you don't notice the oil in the barbecue. It just tastes rich.

Good luck. I hope you find some. It's unique.

I will get to the crust recipe, I promise.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I had to go look at their menu. Now I'm hungry. No barbecued mullet, but the Grouper Oscar has my mouth watering. Also, they aren't on Anna Maria. They're in Bradenton. Maybe they moved:

Ed Huntress

hey, so, you were talking about quiche, and then talking about fish. when you were talking about quiche i wondered if they ever put chunks of seafood in it. you said quiche is like custard, that reminded me of japanese seafood custard. during the quiche discussion i wanted to say "chawanmushi is good" but didn't. now you're talking about fish i can't resist saying "chawanmushi is good". first time i had it i thought it was from heaven.

incredibly delicious. it's wonderful, when you take a spoonful a clear liquid fills the space and that's delicious as well.

b.w.

Reply to
William Wixon

[...]

That's a new one on me. Now I'll have to look for it.

Crabmeat quiche is one of the variations, and it's excellent. A finished crabmeat quiche will have about $10 or more worth of ingredients in it, so you have to really like it.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

hey, so, you were talking about quiche, and then talking about fish. when you were talking about quiche i wondered if they ever put chunks of seafood in it. you said quiche is like custard, that reminded me of japanese chawanmushi (seafood custard). during the quiche discussion i wanted to say "chawanmushi is good" but didn't. now you're talking about fish (after talking about quiche) i can't resist saying "chawanmushi is good". first time i had it i thought it was from heaven.

incredibly delicious. it's wonderful, when you take a spoonful a clear liquid fills the space and that's delicious as well.

b.w.

Reply to
William Wixon

Thanks for the info, Ed. I'll check them out the next time I'm down there. BTW, fresh fried mullet with the skin on is my favorite fist, next to red mullet roe. Yum. Bill.

Reply to
Bill

Hokay, then, you're a real fish eater if you like mullet fried. Then you have to find the barbecued mullet. You'll love it.

Reply to
Ed Huntress