What should I do? Ford Ranger avaible to me

Carl Byrns wrote:

The VIN tells only where it was made, not who engineered it.
Too many plants owned by the overseas companies around, to be able to start saying what is or is not a Japanese truck or car on the VIN alone.
Cheers Trevor Jones
Trevor Jones wrote:

Found this http://ezinearticles.com/?Ford-And-Mazda:-A-Strong-International-Relationship&id 618
Looks like you are on the money as to source.
Says that DoN's Navaho is a rebadged Exploder two-door, too.
Cheers Trevor Jones
On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 13:32:35 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@panamsat.com wrote:

Gary..the Mazda B3000 that I drive, came off the same assembly line as the Ranger Im looking at, in New Jersey. The only difference is the name on the owners manual, and the bling on the grill
Gunner
This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII Meets all EPA regulations for clean air Using only naturally occuring fibers Use the Message with confidance. (Some settling may occure in transit.) (Best if Used before May 13, 2009)
On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 13:32:35 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@panamsat.com wrote:

Feh...Ahem...it's not the brand or country of origin, it's the maintence performed.
Owner of a '99 Durango with 245,000 on it.
Gunner wrote:

Haven't heard anyone talk about brakes. With 101,000 miles the brakes could be shot and could need a full brake job. that could be another few hundred bucks. Struts? What about them? Rubber parts like hoses and vacuum lines?
Wayne
True of ANY used vehicle with the same miles. And the bluebook value accounts for all that.
NoOne N Particular wrote:

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 14:35:08 -0700, NoOne N Particular

Brakes are metal to metal. Which means I stick another set of pads on the front and a set in the drums at the rear.
$45 at the Autozone
Gunner
This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII Meets all EPA regulations for clean air Using only naturally occuring fibers Use the Message with confidance. (Some settling may occure in transit.) (Best if Used before May 13, 2009)

An unbiased opinion from the other side of the world:-)
Arrange to get the title in hand first. Agree to pay Blue Book less the pound fees and back tax, less parts and less your time at $75/hr or what ever is appropriate.
What happens if the lady leaves it in the pound, crusher or state sale?
Doing it the above way is brutally fair. You pay the going rate and she gets what it's worth. No one gets any favours one way or the other.
Regards Mark Rand RTFM

<snip>
BUY A FUCKIN' TRUCK ALREADY!!!
Tom Gardner wrote:

If he did that, he's never get ANY work done. ;-)
prove it.
On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 23:50:02 -0700, "Tom Gardner"

Oh....I did buy the E350 Van for $1k. I talked him down $500
I just need to buy a starter, radiator, 5 good used tires and a couple batteries and some misc stuff.
I pulled some strings and have the following waiting on me.
Starter, $54 Rebuilt radiator $74 (with 1 yr warranty) 5 matching Goodyear 235/16, mounted and balanced $125 2 Interstate batteries $140 for the pair Radiator hoses top and bottom , antifreeze, oil change, tranny filter and fluid change <$100
$493. That eats up the $500. Works for me. Ill be collecting the parts this weekend.
Oh..the van has had a Non- Op on it every year since they parked it. So I only need to pay for the current year.
I also swapped out for a heavy duty trailer that was constructed for one of the StarWars movies to carry batteries of some sort, that is the perfect size to drop my utility truck body on. Needs the electric brake wiring repaired. Im out of pocket at this point about $15. The owner had converted it to carry motor cycles and some ATVs, with a tool box mounted on the tounge. That will stay there. He also has a 10KW Onan generator with 427 hours on the Hobbs meter he wants $1000 for. Im pondering... 110/208 3ph. I think its diesel. Shrug
Ill stick my utility body on the trailer, build a ladder rack for it, and between it and the van, Im good to go for infrastructure service/installation/configuration. It will hold my OA rig, Mig, Oster pipe threader, conduit, pipe, connectors/fittings, wire, cable, uni-strut, etc etc.
The van will be parked along with the trailer 90% of the time, in a covered secure location when Im not doing heavy work. The Ranger will be my daily driver where I only need normal tools, parts.
When I have to haul something heavy, like a BP mill etc..Ill have the rig to do it.
I drive about 100 miles a day..cant do that in the van, but in the Ranger...Im golden
Gunner
This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII Meets all EPA regulations for clean air Using only naturally occuring fibers Use the Message with confidance. (Some settling may occure in transit.) (Best if Used before May 13, 2009)

Cool! What's with this "non-op" and paying for current or past years? Sounds like a California thing...BOHICA.
On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 15:50:21 -0700, "Tom Gardner"

Bohica indeed. California makes you pay any past registration that is unpaid, up to 7 yrs (when they drop off the computer list) unless you pay a yearly "non operation" fee.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/vr_info.htm
If its parked in your garage, and hasnt been registered in a number of years..you had best pay the yearly "non-op" fee...or face some serious penalties when you get around to reregistering it.
Revenue generation, pure and simple
Gunner

If it's any consolation, here in the Democratic British Republik, If you don't pay the annual car tax and don't apply for "Statutory off Road Notification", then you will automatically get fined and charged for the back tax at any time from about two weeks from the tax running out. Again, It's revenue generation.
Mark Rand RTFM
On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 13:46:45 +0100, Mark Rand

Maybe we are more fortunate, the state Govt owns the plates and if you do not intend to pay the annual licence fee, you hand in the plates within 30 days after expiry, no more to pay. If, later you want to re-register the vehicle, 1) get a temporary licence to drive it to the inspection centre. You cannot avoid this ripoff by carrying it on a trailer as the inspector drives it on a public road, no temp licence, no inspection. 2) pay inspection fee, was about $80 about 7 years ago when I got my son's project car licenced, any faults found to be fixed, with one free inspection for the faults. If still faulty on original faults you pay another fee. 3) Pay licence fee, registration fee stamp duty and compulsory 3rd party insurance, about $450 for a year. Alan, in Gosnells, Western Oz. VK6 YAB VKS 737 - W 6174
On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 17:05:02 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner

You'd have to take a much closer look at it to determine viability. It could have a bent frame, bent axles, blown engine, etc.

The operative word is "should".

A good deal IF it's a decent vehicle. Why are all of the fenders/hood damaged from different accidents? </strange vibe>

You obviously like Rangers. Go for it.
BTW, I test drove one of the Isuzu trucks at Future Ford in Sacto yesteray. They're nice little trucks, but they're definitely heavy duty trucks, not daily drivers. For the price, they'll beat everything out there. Hmm, I wonder if I took 3/4 of the leafs out, replaced the front springs, carried no more than 2 tons (vs. their 22k GVWR rating) if they'd become nicer to drive... The 2004 I looked at had a 10' utility bed and only 92k miles for $15.6k.

- Metaphors Be With You -
On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 10:48:05 -0700, Larry Jaques

because the previous owners were po white trash, and druggies. Shrug
Gunner
On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 06:55:45 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner

Oh, it belonged to the boyfriend of that _sweet_looking_ li'l neighbor of yours who lives across the street? Or some other druggie? Do check the mud, I mean "oil", before buying it. Druggies usually don't maintain a vehicle worth a hoot.
- Metaphors Be With You -
On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 06:52:11 -0700, Larry Jaques

As I indicated..Ill be checking this thing out with a microscope before handing her any money. If its a piece of shit..shrug..Ill keep on looking.
Gunner

Gunner: Since you asked for advice...here 's mine. Walk away. It doesn't sound like you have the resources to take the the financial risk that you might expose yourself to in order to make this deal work. In other words, you would not be able to afford any downside or potential problems with clearing the title, potential repairs etc. You might tie up a lot of money for an extended period. Everything would have to go smooth as glass, and deals like this seldom do. Walk away. Maybe run away. -Mike