Wheel spoke angles

Hi group, I have an old DOS program that works out the offset of your rotary table to produce straight sided or tapered spokes in a flywheel or similar but it won't run under Windows XP. Is there some other free program that will run under XP available? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Mastic

XP allows dos programs to run. I do. I have some very old compiled programs in a private language. Dad wrote them. I run them.

Martin

Mart> Hi group, I have an old DOS program that works out the offset of your

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Keep the program you have. Run it under QEMU on yer Windows machine.

Start here:

technomaNge

Reply to
technomaNge

Microsoft Virtual PC is free and works better than "dos box"

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

Doesn't load at all or just has problems running? Some old DOS programs use a serial/parallel mouse and don't recognize a PS2 mouse. If this is the case it may be possible to install the old style mouse in a XP machine. Art

Reply to
WoodButcher

You know Martin I went to run the program from the dos box but couldn't remember the old dos commands anymore. I even had to fool around trying different combos to change the drive, getting old and forgetful!

David

Reply to
Mastic

It won't run, closes itself down on the last operation when it's generating the result. It's all text/number based with keyboard entry, no rodent required.

David

Reply to
Mastic

Okay I searched it out and will try it as well, thanks. It's not looking good though because it is supposed to run under Windows XP Professional and my XP is the home edition.

David

Reply to
Mastic

Thanks. I am downloading as I type and will check it out.

David

Reply to
Mastic

Well that wasn't good. I got it set up with a virtual disk but it won't boot and locked my computer! Thanks anyway.

Reply to
Mastic

No good. Won't run on my version of XP. Thanks anyway.

Reply to
Mastic

Is it the FLYWHEEL program from my page? If it is, it will run just fine under XP, which I use. Your problem above is not the fault of the software, but rather not understanding the OS operation. Go to my page and read the first paragraph in the Introduction section. That will tell you how to fix the problem.

Reply to
Marv

Well, that was stupid. I had my sig, which contains the URL for the page, turned off.

Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things

Marv

======== Do you have the source code [text], and what language is it?

You best bet may be get it recompiled using a current compiler such as PowerBasic CC which generates program with the look and feel of text base DOS programs but running directly under windows.

If you have the source (generally the same name as the exe file but with a .bas extension that you can read using wordpad, send me a copy and I will see what I can do using PowerBasic CC.

Unka' George [George McDuffee] ============ Merchants have no country. The mere spot they stand on does not constitute so strong an attachment as that from which they draw their gains.

F. George McDuffee

Sometimes all you have to do is right click on the DOS program and go to properties. There select the 'program' tab and then deselect the close on exit choice.

cheers T.Alan

Reply to
T.Alan Kraus

Try this: Find the program on your hard drive, and right click on it. Select properties. screen will pop up. Select 'compatibility', then check the 'Run this program in Compatibility mode for:' box under Compatibility mode. Select win 95, which had better DOS compatibility.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Try "VMWare Server". It's the same price, and, in my opinion, it's a much better product too.

Reply to
Robert Roland

It does work in home edition, it just is not "official".

- Bob Headrick

Reply to
Bob Headrick

Things

Wow! You put a lot of work into those. Thanks.

BTW, several of those problems like the HAM sphere and the change gears can easily be solved with a spreadsheet if you work out the math. Here's a good free one:

jw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

On Sep 7, 11:04 pm, clare at snyder.on.ca wrote: ...

I've rewritten my old DOS programs to at least survive in Windows 2000 and XP but still can't keep Windows from polling the parallel port, and Process Explorer shows that NTDVM (NT DOS Virtual Machine) uses

100% of the CPU all the time. Does Virtual PC have ways to get around these?

jw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins