Where do all those funny 'standards' come from

How many gallons in a tun?

Mark rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

OK Double Paces. 19 years ago, I needed to locate a stake 1000 feet in to a field from a marker on the fence so I did the "surveyor's 90" (stand on line with arms extended along the line then swing your arms to clap your hands and pick a sight point) and paced in 300 single paces (actually 150 paces and 150 limps, as I had smashed my heel bone

13 months previous) and the sought after stake was within 3 feet of me. I did this successfully with an inexperienced chap one time, but I did give him the advantage of a right angle prism. He located his property bar on the first try. Gerry :-)} London, Canada
Reply to
Gerald Miller

I just finished reading the book "Smoot's Ear" which one of my sons gave me for Father's Day this year. It's fascinating stuff:

Ear.htmhttp://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/pressAndInformationOffice/publications/books/2007/Smoots or:

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

2,240 pounds in a tun, and bless the trade of cheap bordeaux red wine into england 200 years ago for that one. it so dominated trade into england that ships and lorries were rated by the number of tuns they could carry.

oh gallons. 252 gallons to the tun.

Stealth Pilot

Reply to
Stealth Pilot