Wire Bending Machine

Hi. I've Googled but haven't found anything.

I would like to bend my own pegboard hooks etc. In the 1970's, IIRC, in the back of every "Popular Science" magazine there was an ad for the (IIRC) "Wireformer". Recent issues don't have the same ad.

Thanks.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Will these work:

Max

Reply to
Max

I was in a local hobby shop about a year ago, and saw in the tools display case a modern day 'Wireformer'... looked just like the original, only black oxide finished. Don't recall the mfg's name, sorry.

I bet if you searched around in hobby type web sites, you'd find something.

Erik

Reply to
Erik

Mcmaster-Carr (mcmaster.com) has a few small wire benders under $100......

Grummy

Reply to
grumtac

--They're dead easy to make; all you need is a bunch of dowel pins, a plate you can clamp in a vise, with two pins sticking up out of it (one long one in the middle and a shorter one off to one side maybe an inch) and a piece of steel long enough to act as a handle that does the work. Drill handle to slide over the upright, then drill another hole for a pin to hang down from it. This second pin does the work. --I've made a couple of these and I use 'em to bend stuff from 1/8" to 1/4" and for bending tubing with formers that slip over the plate's tall pin. They work great and they're reeeeally cheap.

Reply to
steamer

I really tried to follow what you wrote. You lost me about the over size (pipe?) that sits on one pin with a second one (what, pipe/rod? hanging down.

Any pictures for the imagination challenged? ___________________________ Keep the whole world singing. . . . DanG

Reply to
DanG

Hi Mark,

Here are two that I found a while back:

I like the second one best, it is the most versatile looking bender for small stuff I've come across.

Has several different benders. Type "bender" sans quotes in their search box. Look at the "wire benders" and "wire bending jigs" towards the bottom of the list you will get. I think item 2379A11 maybe what you are looking for. It is a simple jig. Items 2460A11, 2460A16, 2460A18 are all similar to the bender I liked above that use an arm for leverage. Their site is a pain to link to or I would give you links...

Yet another option for small stuff are "Jewelers pliers". They have round jaws and are made for bending wires and such.

Reply to
Leon Fisk

I made something similar for a job I'm doing right now. I put a nice bearing on the pin that contacts the rod I'm bending. Unfortunately, the bearing couldn't handle the pressure and broke. :(

Reply to
Dave Lyon

--I'll take some photos and post 'em to my page; stay tuned?

Reply to
steamer