Working leather gloves from mcmaster

I actually do buy shoes through the mail. It works out fine.

Ignoramus3844

Try it on your other hand. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Just sayin what I like to do. One size don't fit all.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Yep! Everlast. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Reply to
Louis Ohland

Not McMaster, but my favorite pair of gloves is a light leather, maybe deerskin or pigskin, not the real heavy work gloves but similar to TIG gloves. I don't know who makes them, but they are sold with the CAT logo (like the heavy equipment manufacturer) prominently displayed on the back. They have a leather palm and fingers with a strong, fluorescent nylon back, with some elastic around the wrist. I use them for moving heavy things, hammering, hotwork, and general tasks. I have a couple pairs, and they weren't too expensive. I found them at the local hardware store. Several years ago when I was disassembling and moving my Excello mill, I got one pair well impregnated with lithium grease. Over time the surface grease wore off, to the point where they don't stain everything they touch, but it seems to have impregnated the leather with the antifriction components of the grease. It's like having an Oilite bushing in you hand, a great help when shoveling, hauling, or anything where repetitive movement would otherwise start to wear a hole in the glove and your skin.

Reply to
woodworker88

Try looking into motorcycle gloves. Some bikes have heated grips. So some gloves are thinner in the palms, but heavier on the back.

Reply to
Wayne

How road warrior! Might have to get a bike just to use them...

Reply to
Louis Ohland

I followed Steve B's advice. I went to Home Depot and tried a lot of gloves. I bought three pairs of very nice $1.95 gloves which fit very well. I believe that the ones I had that wore out and became all dirty, were the same gloves, but by now they became completely unrecognizable after a few years, so it is hard to say.

The sort of work that I do with them, mostly, is moving various heavy or unpleasant to hold things. Typical example would be cinderblock or Parker Parkrimp-1 hydraulic hose crimper.

Ignoramus3921

On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 20:07:53 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, Ignoramus3921 quickly quoth:

Just for fun, try washing them sometime, Ig. But seriously, the sharp sand in dirt will cause gloves to fail more quickly so washing them frequently will help extend their lives.

Work with the wifey-poo to see how she wants them prewashed before they go in HER washer, though. I'm not married but I know a few guys who are. Keep a bucket of your favorite degreaser and water (heated shop, preferably) in the shop and soak the heavy stuff off first.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I did wash them in the clothes washer, it did not help much.

Ignoramus3921

Thanks. As you grow older, you get thriftier. For some work, good gloves are worth it, but I always seem to end up using good gloves for crappy work and ruining them. I hate ruining good gloves on crappy work. I do have a few pairs I use for specific purposes.

When I drove fork lift, I liked the deerskin or elk skin. A little spendy, but you could write with them on, and you had a good feel for the controls. There were two other guys who did the same. We talked about it one day, and noticed that the same fingers would wear out from using the controls. Operators used their fingertips. Drivers yanked on the whole control arm.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Best gloves I ever found for winter work in land surveying were top of the line ski gloves, preferably dayglow seafoam green - so f#^*king ugly they will never even be borrowed, much less stolen. Sufficiently flexible you can adjust verniers and keep notes with warm fingers. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 21:48:00 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, Ignoramus3921 quickly quoth:

You snipped my second paragraph, the key reason for your washing failure. Here it is again:

"Work with the wifey-poo to see how she wants them prewashed before they go in HER washer, though. I'm not married but I know a few guys who are. Keep a bucket of your favorite degreaser and water (heated shop, preferably) in the shop and soak the heavy stuff off first."

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I don't know for sure but it sounds as if these are the same gloves available at HF for about $.99 (they sell in packs of 6).

AG

Reply to
AG