These is good gloves

To All, A few months ago I bought a pair of "mechanic's gloves". These gloves are the type made for working on engines and the like. The only ones of this type the store had were Wells-Lamont brand "MechPro". The gloves are great because they have a velcro closure that keeps stuff from falling down into them, they wear well, and are washable. To clean I just put the gloves on and squirt dishwasing soap on 'em and wash them like I was washing my hands. Then I take them off, squeeze them a few more times, and rinse them out. All the oil washes right out. They dry fast. Being completely man-made I would not use them for welding and the like. But they even work well for stacking split wood. I'm sure any well made glove of this type would have the same advantages. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

I like this type of glove more the more I use it. Another type I use is the ones with double leather on the palms; these hold up pretty well, these are Wells-Lamont brand.

The automotive style mechanics gloves are branded "Monster Garage" (HF?). In order to get the heavy grease off these I put them in a Tupperware style container and saturate them with something like Shout stain remover (or whatever the wife has handy) and let them soak for an hour. Then I work them against each other by hand to help break down the grease then add detergent, cover the container, and shake it like hell. Then repeat with the detergent after rinsing and finish with a final rinse and dry them in the sun.

The results? Clean enough so rubbing them on a clean shop towel won't transfer anything. Also there is no visible breakdown of the gloves so far. Really great at keeping my hands from getting torn-up. :) Although I think prices for this type of glove are getting a little high for what's being delivered.

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger

eBay can be much cheaper than even online retail. Oh, I guess that I shouldn't have said. Now I'll have competition driving up the bid 8-}

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Kind of ironic, but as a mechanic, I work best with no gloves, or with the only tool I will buy from HF, nitrile exam gloves. I do have a set of the "mechanix" gloves, handy for handling rough metal, but my woven kevlar butcher gloves are best for carrying metal with sharp edges. I have a few sets of them, handy for welding as they don't transfer heat, but the only new ones I can find have plastic dots for grip on them that melt when picking up hot metal

Reply to
Stupendous Man

Last I knew, both McMaster and Grainger carried the plain Kevlar gloves in various weights. I first bought them for winter camping trips - it's easy to burn holes in a pair of polyester gloves playing with the campfire, but the Kevlar gloves are remarkably tough and heat resistant. Pretty cheap, too.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

They are also nice inside other gloves - as they are both knife cutting safe (skinning...) and the web forms a layer to insulate (heat) that rubber or leather gloves don't provide.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

Ned Simm>

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn