WTB lathe & mill

Hi, I live in the Detroit area but I sometimes work in Toronto. I have a Atlas 12" lathe with a 42in bed for sale. Lathe doesn't hace a quick change box but has a full set of change gears. This is a very tight machine. I can't pick up any spindle runout greater than .0002. Bed has very little wear. Lead screw backlash is around .015.

1 1/2 x 8 thread and Morse taper #3 on the headstock and Morse taper #2 in the tail. I have a metal bench. (not fancy) Tooling could be worked out. I will be in Toronto on the 23rd or 29th so you may be in luck since this lathe and bench fit in my truck.

I also have a Atlas or Walker Turner drill press from the same era for sale. Email me (remove the notthis) or post here.

Thanks

Eddie

Reply to
Eddie

I bought a fairly good southbend 9a lathe from eBay and paid a

*reasonable* price - Unfortunately with work and more importantly space, I have hardly used her. Great American Iron. Lots of extras

Would be willing to let it go for the same as I paid or might part it out on eBay I'm in Toronto

email works for contact

Tom

Reply to
surftom

I have tried the tri-ad (now isell.ca). That has landed some leads. Almost bought a Southbend 9x36 as a result, but timing was not good.

Thanks for the auction sites. I am checking them out! I have also been watching

for upcoming auctions that might have something good.

Eric

Reply to
distracted

....your next of kin is gonna love you after you have gone on to the eternal break room.

Gunner

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem. To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized, merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas

Reply to
Gunner

[ ... ]

[ ... ]

I came up with a solution for that for my 12x24" Clausing. I made a table just the height of the ways using 4x4s as legs, and 2x4s as cross pieces, with a sheet of Plexiglass defining the height on which the turret slides. The long 2x4s nearer the floor serve as a 'V' to set spare chucks onto. The tailstock, while heavy, is not too heavy to lift clear, and then the turret can slide onto the bed.

Even better would be to have a separate section of lathe bed (perhaps the relatively unworn end of a badly worn bed), mounted on a similar table, but carefully adjusted so the ways lined up in height. But I don't have a spare section of lathe bed of the proper profile.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

That's not a bad idea. I've stored my chucks under a bench near the headstock, but having a setup like yours would certainly solve two problems. I've always worried about the chucks rolling about while sitting on the bottom shelf. When we finally move out of the shop, I think a platform as you described is in the making. Wouldn't take up any more space than the cover I'm using now and it certainly would save my back.

Thanks, DoN.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Reply to
distracted

Note to all: I've informed ms. Mulligan that if I cork off, I'll have the stuff disposed of beforehand. If I cork off unexpectedly, it will be the purchases responsibility to have it all rigged out on their nickel.

The only trouble here is if I somehow win the lotto and want to move to a fancier spot. But even that somehow wouldn't be *too* bad....

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

I have run across several lathes where the owner said "I don't know anything about it. It came with the house".

Reply to
Rex B

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show Gunner wrote back on Tue, 12 Apr 2005 03:55:29 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :

I can see the ad for the Estate Sale

"House, with basement shop (machines included, as is, where is.)"

Or

"Appliances included: washer/dryer, stove, refrigerator, Colchester lathe..."

tschus pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

OK.... Some pics of the SB 9a loaded at

surftom

Hey distracted,

Not sure whether it qualifies within your desired "few hours drive", but NAMES is on a week from Saturday and Sunday. April 23 &24, just south of Detroit. Always some good stuff for sale, and for sure some....whoops... X that,....it's ALL good stuff, to see. If you think about going, get back to me and I'll help with directions.

By the way, coming back with machinery, the only "Customs" charge is for PST and GST on the equivalent Canadian funds. No duty, and no hassle.

Take care.

Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.

ps...if you do go, have me paged and I'll buy you a coffee.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Brain,

NAMES... What is this? A sale of some kind?

Eric

Reply to
distracted

North American Model Engineering Society exposition. A display of models of all kinds. I won't miss it. Here's the web site. Be sure to look at the pics under the exposition page.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Peter T. Keillor III