Your first pet's name must be greater than 6 characters

I was setting up an answer to a "secret question" on a certain website. "What is your first pet's name", it asked.

I typed the answer. The website refused my answer, because "the name must be greater than 6 characters".

I guess I should have named my first pet differently.

Ignoramus20463

Use his/her _full_ name, i.e. its first name and your last name; it is a member of the family, right? :-)

If it won't accept a blank space, either use an underscore ('_') or just concatenate them.

Or, you could just make something up but be sure to remember it!

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Funny.

I have them in a file. I paste the website name, make the password, then copy and paste the password back to the website.

Good luck and have fun.

Reply to
John Doe

Computer security is so full of dumb solutions like this.

Ignoramus20463

Sorry, I meant not your solution but insisting that an answer to a question should be more than 6 characters.

Ignoramus20463

A new employee joins the Company, and is required to have a password setup for his computer. The boss directed a secretary to setup the password for him. The secretary asks the man for the password. The man, attempting to embarrass the secretary in order to show superiority, said, "Penis." Blushed, the secretary inputted the password Penis, and re-typed it again. Then she hit enter. The whole office heard the secretary bursting out of laughter's as a reaction from the computer's screen: "Password rejected. Reason: Too short"

Reply to
Tom Gardner

:

Pretend it's French, like a poodle, and repeat the name; Ivanivan

Caca d'oie:

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

What was your next password? ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Ignoramus20463" wrote in message news:VtKdnTjt7aByvsbQnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com...

A friend, was interested in buying something from a website. Merely to view prices, he was required to register. Having been advised this etailer offered fine bargains, he began the process.

The first request was for his zip code. And his favorite color. Plus his email. Not that those aren't tired questions a bank might ask.

After having submitted his invented user name, he was informed it was not long enough. After a longer second attempt at another handle, he was instructed someone else had the name. Since it was along the lines of AHemoglypt333, he doubted that. He tried a more nonsensical longer name and that was rejected.

Having more inititiative, perhaps, than sense, he conducted multiple experiments and discovered a user name could not be longer than

12 characters but had to exceed 6. Maybe this was an ordeal to test his worthiness to be a customer.

Then he tried to submit a password. Instead of noting in advance that only alphanumeric characters were acceptable, the site joyful informed him of this afterward. At that point, he refreshed the page and typed in a user name that would be a more meaningful alphabetical version of

*!!#+\%%!!! and a password roughly correspondent to that and his anger. The interface then responded: "Profanities detected, please avoid offensive words". I don't think he did.

There is a great term in Swedish for some low-level, contact functionary that assumes their job is a chance to show just what they can make you do. "Pope at the counter" would be a fair translation.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

There is a computer site where my password is "dipshitcomputer". Have no problem remembering it. :)

Reply to
Usual suspect

I feel somewhat inadequate when they have six questions to choose from, and I don't really have a solid answer to any that I can give.........

sigh ....................

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I stopped using "Penis" when software said it was weak I use chemical formulas, there are millions of them, they're easy to remember and they are a good mix of letters, caps and numbers.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Well, just make something up! Just be sure you can remember it! They won't know if your mother's maiden name isn't, say, P0ughk!ps33 or whatever.

Don't you people have any imagination?

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

One of my pet peeves occurs when one logs off a website and it asks you if you really want to do that. It makes sense if one has entered in a lot of data and has not completed some task. But asking if one really wants to log off when there is minimum effort to log back in is a PITA.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

I've seen that too (I think with >7 characters).. it's not only stupid, but really not very secure. If you do a search of common dog names equal to or longer than 8 characters there are very few.. eg. Princess might be a pretty good guess.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Good idea, thanks. I recently had "Kwashiorkor" and "Schistosomiasis" rejected as too common so no more tropical diseases.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

C5H22O11 The only simple one I can remember. Of course there are more in-organic ones that I could do or generate if required. :-) ...lew...

Reply to
Lewis Hartswick

Jim Wilkins

Same thing here.

Ignoramus895

I got annoyed with this recently when I logged into my retirement account and found I had to supply the answers to a bunch of these questions to continue. While I understand the point of the exercise, it seemed whoever composed the questions did not. In order for the system to work as intended, the answers need to be not only personal, but unambiguous. Questions like "who was your best friend in high school?" and "what's you favorite restaurant?" seem pretty useless to me. In the end, I had to write down 1 or 2 answers, which shouldn't be necessary if the questions have easily remembered, unambiguous responses.

Reply to
Ned Simmons