Your first pet's name must be greater than 6 characters

I store all my passwords, and those inane secret answers, in a file. I keep this file encrypted at all times.

The secret questions are, usually, very bad.

Like asking "What is your favorite movie" or "what is your favorite store". One day my favorite movie is one thing, next day it is something else. And, say, favorite store, should it be (not the real answer I actually give) Wal-Mart, walmart, Walmart, or wal mart?

As research shows, most answers to secret questions (like high school or year of birth) can be dug out on social websites like facebook.

And those same websites with inane secret questions, then, turn around and store your passwords in plain text, have dumb programmers and SQL injection bugs, and so on.

Ignoramus895

For heaven's sakes, folks! Make something up!

Did you know that (at least on Linux) you can embed blanks, question marks, and asterisks in a password?

I wonder what would happen if you entered, say, 'p@$$w0rd'? Would they say it's too easy to sniff?

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Then, of course, you forget the password to the encrypted file. >:->

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

My first experience with Yahoo was fun.

I didn't know my boss was screwing with me over our intranet when my choice of increasingly complex login names all failed as having 'already been taken'. :)

He finally gave up when I selected: YouCannotPossiblyHaveThoughtOfThisBefore

:)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I keep all my passwords in an unencrypted excel file. But I use an algorithm/cipher that allows me to generate a complete password from just a couple characters. For the passwords where I don't worry about security, like manufacturers' sites where you need to register to download data, I use a couple simple login names and passwords. For those that need to be secure I only record the seed characters and generate the password on the fly, and use a unique password for each site.

Yeah, but there's usually at least one choice that's usable. What annoyed me about the case I brought up was that there were no reasonable choices for one of the questions. On top of that, when I tried to send my opinion of the new "feature" to the site administrator, the message page wouldn't work.

Exactly.

I've wondered about that, but some questions seem pretty safe, and at the same time unambiguous. For example, I think you'd have a very hard time tracking down the name of the school where I attended first grade.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

"Adventures in Babysitting." Or maybe "The Butterfly Effect."

The one that has the best prices. ;-D

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

OUTSTANDING movie. (I'm still in lust with Ms. Shue.)

My favorite movies are action/adventures and usually include one or more of these actors: Stallone, Schwartzenegger, Willis, Lundgren, VanDamme, Reeves, Cage, Wayne, Crowe, Yeoh, Fat, Li, Lee, Gibson, Jolie, Rock, Banderas, McConaughey, Ford, Lambert, Jovovich, Statham, Owen, Wahlberg, Cruise, etc.

Best value, not price. Far too often, the lowest price is nowhere near the best value.

-- The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. --Herbert Spencer

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Mary says there was a time when she thought her kids were named Damnitannie and Daviddont.

Reply to
Don Foreman

We were 'almost related' then, Don. I dated a woman named 'DamnitJanet' many years ago.

:)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I haven't ran into that one yet. What I have run into is my isp uses a .cc as part of its name. I've had web pages tell me that I don't have a valid email address.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Just make the first letter s, the last letter t and as many o's as needed in the middle, or start and end with p (with as many o's as necessary. The whole exercise is futile as security as these long passwords with numbers letters upper case lower etc means that people write them down which defeats the purpose.

Reply to
F Murtz

OOPS I meant sh, as many I's as necessary ending in t.

, or start and end with p (with as many o's as

Reply to
F Murtz

Won't work in many cases-- they reject more than n repeated characters.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I just open Wordpad and randomly type a dozen or more characters, then delete anything that isn't allowed. I save the file, then copy and past it into the boxes.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

That's when you use all nonsense answers. ;-)

I had a checkbook program in the Commodore 64 days. It wouldn't accept my password one day. I was about ready to delete it and the records file when I typed 'Fuckyou' and it opened the program. After I exported my records I looked at the software and found that it didn't care what you typed, as long as the password was the right length. ANY seven characters would let you run the program. The original password was six characters, and was corrupted by something. That was in the days before UPS systems were affordable.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Some websites are too easy to log out of, because of poor page layout.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

[snip]

State Farm keeps making me answer security questions. I'm using the same computer, static ip on computer and router. I'm using the correct password, I've been using Lastpass for a couple months now. That program is awesome.

Security questions tend to be from the same small pool thus causing one to give this to multiple web sites which opens a security hole since the security questions are often used when a email address, or password isn't usable or known anymore to reset authentication.

I do like Amazon/Pay pal and their little card that gives me a 6 digit number to tack onto my password when logging in. I'm surprised they don't offer that as a service to other sites for a small price that would be big money in the aggregate.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

computer, static

Lastpass for a

are often used

You got it exactly right.

to tack onto

Did you read about the gawker password theft, hackers stole millions of unencrypted passwords. Those people did not even bother to encrypt them.

Ignoramus5243

Heh - reminds me of James Arness (or was it Peter Graves) in "Airplane" asking the kid, "Do you like gladiator movies?" ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I read about it. Some people use really lame passwords and then use them everywhere. One of the reasons lastpass appeals to me is it generates a unique password for each site then saves it in an encrypted database with an encrypted copy on the lastpass server(s).

Lastpass hosts only encrypted files that they don't have the encrytion keys to so when I use another computer or run firefox off my usb key, it can sync the local copies of the database after I authenticate locally. Obviously I have to trust them not to try to slurp my database password but then you have to trust something eventually.

Wes

Reply to
Wes