My Conversation with Sen Lautenburg' Staff

I am a resident of NJ and called Senator Lautenburg's office today at about

5:30. The person asking the phone was a young man named Joseph. I asked to speak with a senior staff member. When Joseph asked, I told him the subject was about Rocketry. He said the staff member handling that issue was unavailable because he was in with the Senator at the moment. Joseph said he could help me.

I went on to say that I was greatly upset at the Senator's statement and felt in was factually untrue. I said I was more interested in understanding the rationale behind the decision and the process that led up to it. Joseph said they felt terrorist could acquire rocket motors and do "bad things" (actual words). Joseph couldn't say what "bad things" but was certain terrorist would do them.

I then asked more about the process that led to their decision: what facts where used, where they got information from, who they talked to, etc. Joseph couldn't say. I felt I was entitled to this information. Joseph said we could have a staff member return my call. Unfortunately I had family obligation and would be available only until 6:15. Still I left my phone number.

Joseph, not the senior staff member, called back in about 15 minutes. Joseph said they got their information from the AFT and DOJ. Apparently there was little consideration from letters sent by constituents. I then asked if they were in DC to represent the AFT. Joseph said no, they were there to represent the State of New Jersey. I correct Joseph telling him they are there to represent the PEOPLE of the State of New Jersey!

As our conversation went on it was pretty clear Joseph was clueless.

I asked what happens next, after we say goodbye. Joseph said he would pay the information to the senior staffer; his name is Mike Hughes. Hughes would then decide whether or not to pads it to the senator. I questioned whether this isn't a conflict of interest, Hughes would be reluctant to admit he screwed up. I asked to whom Hughes reports; who's his boss. He reports to the Senator himself or his Chief of Staff. I left my contact information (phone and Email) and the URL's to TRA and NAR websites.

I plan to call back and asked to speak to Mike Hughes, then eventually to the COS.

I strongly encourage my fellow NJ rocketeers to CALL Lautenburg; don't write or FAX. The number is (202) 224-3224. Ask to specifically for Hughes or higher level official. Pound them on their decision making process and their reliance on a single point-of-view. Be polite, but be forceful. Don't be ignored.

NY rocketeers should do similar.

...Fred

Reply to
Fred Taverni

God bless Fred Taverni.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Way to go Fred......I live across the river and though I try to yell they don't hear me.........but they will hear from my brother -in -law, several co workers and a few friends, It's amazing he can talk smak to an entire nation but will only hear responses from the hinterland. Is that a shuck and jive or what?

Chuck

Fred Taverni wrote:

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

Nope, I won't forget that name!! My boss at work happens to be named Mike Hughes.

J.A. Michel

Reply to
J.A. Michel

Someone in NJ needs to point out that:

  1. Our rockets are unguided and thus unreliable as a weapon.
  2. They don't adhere to the terrorist methods. (Terrorists would more likely use high-explosives obtained from an Arab state.)
  3. These people are Arabs, and I'm sure they have connections to the Palastinians, Syrians, and Saudi. (If they can arm their people with AK-47's, M-16's, high explosives, and RPG's, why would they need our low-tech rockets?)
  4. I don't know of ANY attacks on ANYONE in the U.S. using ANY kind of rocket. (There is good reason for this...see point #1)
  5. Anyone purchasing a motor large enough for a terrost's needs would stick out like a sore thumb. I don't know ANY American distributor that would be dumb enough to sell them anything!

I pray that you get to talk to the Senator, his COS, and this Mike Hughes so you can point out these items. I'm not angry about all of this, I just accept the fact that their fear is due to a lack of correct information and reasoning. Remember that these are only two senators, not the whole senate.

I also believe that Pride may have a driving factor now. We should find, and offer, a graceful way out of this for him. He still needs to retain the respect of the people of NJ and his fellow senators. Otherwise, he would HAVE to follow through just to retain that respect. It is very difficult for some people (Mike Hughes included) to admit they were wrong. We should understand this and act accordingly.

Finally, Fred I must commend you for remaining civil through this process. Politics can be a very difficult thing to work through, and hot heads rarely prevail. Thank you.

Press on! Ken Howerton snipped-for-privacy@cox.net

understanding

Reply to
Hawarden

No Ray, he's on to something. You could call the radio station and say you're doing that. Or how'bout say you're driving a yellow truck filled with the same gas through the city,... no wait,.. you've hijacked a private plane,.. no a skateboard. Personally I like the one about the atom bomb placed in a California fault.

Terror doesn't actually have to hurt people,...

Joel. phx

People don't kill people,... guns do. Eliminate the 2nd TODAY!

.... of course you need to eliminate the 1st to shut 'those' people up,....

Reply to
Joel Corwith

One American general to another, while discussing the possibility of a certain Vietnam battle plan arousing intense popular opposition here in the US: "That's the price we have to pay for living in a free country"... the government will do what it will; it's just forced to endure protest.

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

Your statement #3 smacks of pure racism. Since my mother's family came from the middle east, does that mean I should be suspect if I participate in rocketry?

Someone needs to point out to YOU that not all terrorists are arabs. Ever heard of Timothy McVay, IRA, Chechen seperatists, Sikh rebels, Falun Gong, and a host of others?

Jeff Barnes TRA #2267

Reply to
Jeff Barnes

Falun Gong as terrorists? Where does that come from?

-- Todd

Reply to
Todd Lainhart

McVeigh. Separatists.

Add this to Brant. Stine. Voila. Moot.

I'm afraid you're ignorant if you believe that any of the above are more of a threat to US citizens than are the Islamic fundamentalist terrorists of the world today. We've had (at most) a couple of McVeigh-like incidents, and McVeigh alone pretty much killed the 'American militia' movement, as people were so disgusted and turned off by it. While the other ones ARE problematic for the world as a whole, they are NOT the major problem for the US. And I would venture that if one were to make a list of all of the various 'factions' committing terrorism, that Islamic fundamentalists would be at the top of the list. It's interesting that you seem unaware that the Chechens fall into this category...

David Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White

Which members of the Falun Gong movement have been murdering people...? I can't recall hearing about that on the news. :-)

Reply to
Len Lekx

There was a program on cable a few months ago with a title similar to "Why do they hate us?" It was very well thought out and produced; they interviewed middle eastern people in several countries, honestly asking what they have against Americans.

One young woman (Saudi, if I recall correctly) said "Because you think we're all terrorists." The interviewer replied, "Well, aren't you? With few exceptions, every time we hear something was blown up, guess who did it? If the Norweigians were crashing planes into our cities, we'd feel the same way about them."

The girl had no answer for that.

Human beings operate most of the time by generalizing. You KNOW there are exceptions, but your first response has to be based on what you've experienced.

Reply to
Scott Schuckert

"Jeff Barnes"

--------

I thought that was rotten cheese....

HDS

Reply to
HDS

Don't forget cars. Cars kill people, too!

Glen Overby

Reply to
Glen Overby

Some one needs to go to the Republicans that got screwed by lautenberg illegally getting on the ballot in place of the discredited incumbant. They'd LOVE to show what an idiot he is. Which wouldn't be hard...

Bob Kaplow

Ya know, I just had a flashback...

The reports had just come out about the Murrah building being blown up in Oklahoma City. Without exception, the commentators, pundits and assorted experts were saying "This has all the earmarks of a Middle Eastern terrorist attack." ( The incident occured shortly after the attempt to topple the WTC with a truck bomb.)

Fred Williams

Reply to
Fred Williams

In my pile of post NARAM mail were letters from my 2 senators in response to my emails regarding SB724. From Fitzjerald I got a letter mentioning explosives regulations. After 2 paragraphs of that canned response he mentioned that SB 724 was addressing my concerns, like he thought it up himself. He didn't say he was for it or against it. His last paragraph invitied me to a breakfast if I were ever in DC.

The letter from Durbin was more surprising, i that he's a co-sponsor of SB724. It was on homeland security, and never mentioned rockets or SB724 at all. It had the same last paragraph. The two senators from IL co-sponsor the breakfast in spite of being from opposite parties (not that there's any real difference any more).

At any rate, regardless of the status of things a year from now, I think I'm going to breakfast in DC with my senators on the Thursday of NARAM. It should be interesting.

Bob Kaplow

Go. Do you need help with the ticket?

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

It is bad for homeland security and military budgets.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Not if it's during NARAM-46. I'll be in the area already, with transportation. If you wnat me to go in the next month, then yes...

Bob Kaplow