Subject Author Posted Replies

From Railroad to Bed Rail
Recycling railroad steel into angle iron.. Sales video, but fun to watch the operation... (found this on another list, thought it was interesting for metalworking content) In case you ever wondered...
9
9

Perpetual motion machine?
This guy has done the 'impossible'!!!! ;>)}
6
6

Furnace Plenum Size
I'd worry about the duct velocities in the individual branches you take off the main plenum. The plenum is supposed to be where everything meets, and you'll never get it "optimum" there. To save money...
1
1

Head mounted magnifier recommendation?
I presently use an old Edroy that works well but has too short a working distance. Are there any grades between the $35 B&L and the $350 Zeiss? Kevin Gallimore
10
10

A real perpetual motion machine (video)
This guy has done the 'impossible'!!!! ;>)}

Removing chuck from Reed-Prentice lathe
The 3-jaw chuck has been on for at least a year. I need to change chucks. It mounts on a taper and is drawn in and pushed off with a threaded collar. The taper is holding tight after beating the...
12
12

NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC
=A1Saludos aficionados al metal! Pues la cosa mariposa, es que participo en un concurso fotogr=E1fico de la revista National Geographic con la tem=E1tica "comportamiento animal". En principio pens=E9...
1
1

grinding drills
Background: A long time ago I bought two bench grinders from Grainger. They are 8 inch belt driven grinders. And I like them because they are slimmer than ones with a motor between the two wheels. And...
18
18

Sodium lamps or ballast going bad?
Awl -- Got a cupla 70 W jobbies to light up what the city won't light up, and after about a year, one goes off, on, off, on with that whitish glow, rather than the sodium yellow. Is this the bulb...
3
3

Is it possible to see a flying bullet?
I was at a gun range today with a friend, shooting a 9mm hand gun. When he was shooting, I was standing behind him, watching. After a few shots, I realized that I may have seen a glimpse of the...
22
22

Define "vernier"
See this Craig's list ad: aside the arrogance of his price policy I am fascinated by the fact that a machinist (self-defined) who can afford such expensive tools does not know what a vernier is. The...
78
78

What are the "American values"
I am wondering about something. I see very many organizations and people defending American Values. I could not, however, find a sensible list of what these values are. Is there some list that makes...
54
54

Followup on the Darex E-90
I've been learning on the Darex E90. It's very easy to use, but it took a while to figure out exactly how to adjust the stylus height and position vs. the wheel location in order to duplicate the...
15
15

What is it? Set 440
I know the answer for just one of the items this week, hopefully we'll get at least a couple of them figured out: Rob
22
22

Not What They Were Made For
A couple years ago I bought a 2 pack of DeWalt 10" 80 tooth blades. I've worn them both out cutting aluminum, but I can't complain. They did a really good job and made a lot of cuts over the last...
7
7