5" gauges wheel profile

After spending the last four days at the Harrogate show and talking and asking a number of people about the profile 5" gauge wheels should be turned to I have now four different ones. Could someone tell me were I can find the correct one to use in the uk and is there a drawing available.

Reply to
Bill

The information you require is in"Model Engineer's Handbook" by Tubal Cain

3rd Edition Chapter 13 Pages 16/17 ISBN 1-85486-134-4. Every Model Engineer should have one! What are you building? Best of luck Ron,
Reply to
Salamanda

In message , Bill writes

Argh!! There be Dragons!

Do you know yet where you intend to run your finished loco? If it is always going to be on raised track that it probably does not matter which standard you choose. It is ground level running that is the problem. It is all about turnouts and check rail clearances. If I were building to a standard gauge prototype I would look at 'GL5' (contact them via ) and either use that as my wheel standard or one that appears to be even more stringent from the point of view of potential for track damage.

Of course these are distinctly non-scale when it comes to narrow gauge models. But Hey Ho! It is too late for me and I live with the possibility of taking some 190lb of metal to a strange track and then being refused permission to run because my wheels just might do some damage. On the other hand I'm not really expecting trouble. It is 6 or

8 coupled wheels on a long wheel base that the 'permanent way staff' look at very dismay.
Reply to
Mike H

But surely if people would only build 5" or 7 1/4" scale curves on their tracks there would be no problem (other than running out of coal and water part way round) (BG)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Or the European standard NEDG 311 which is only marginally different. Russell.

Reply to
Russell Eberhardt

Reply to
Bill

Which thred led you to Martin Evans or have I missed one

Reply to
Salamanda

Reply to
Bill

i see someone else is having trouble identifying a thread

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

I know the square root of nothing about locomotives. Nasty smelly things! Nevertheless, I was given a set of Gauge 1 stuff. A relative of James Watt to name drop.

The inner wheels- being 4-6-0 or something had the middle set of the 6 set modified for curves in the garden track. So far, I have yet to see comment about dimensions for the removal of metal to facilitate this.

I suppose that it is one way of going round the bend- who knows? Bill, is this it?

Norman

Reply to
ravensworth2674

There is a useful drawing at

down the page) of John Cousin's profiles.

I've still got a set of drawings of the gauges used for checking wheel profiles for multi gauge point work at Cambridge MES. I can easily do a copy.

Alan Bain

Reply to
Alan Bain

I'm unsure how critical things are with 5" gauge but within the full size arena a set of coupled wheels must be held within plus or minus

0.010" on diameter to minimise stresses within the side rods.
Reply to
briano