500mm pipe

hello there

I have a little project on.

It involves welding some 10mmm mild steel strips spiral wise inside 500mm pipe 2m long.

Does anyone have any idea where I may get some good quality 10mm walled

500mm od pipe?

thanks in advance.

Reply to
Billy H

No idea, closest you'll get is Line Pipe, which is designated by the OD, unlike conventional pipe.

20" Schedule 20 Line Pipe = 20" (508mm) x .375" (9.53mm)

Well drillers are a good source of offcuts.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Try Christmas Steel in Shrewsbury. 01743 462515. There were some pretty large pipes lying in their yard last time I passed.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

I'll call that number, this looks promising.

Many Thanks Chris

Reply to
Billy H

Further to the same project I am looking to have made, or to make a large sprocket to go around the outside drum (cylinder if you like) and wonder, can anyone helpo me with a supplier of such a big thing, or should I resort to fabricating teeth and heat treating them for hardness afterwards?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Billy H

How about wrapping and fixing motorcycle chain round the cylinder, and drive that from a sprocket....

Joules

Reply to
Joules Beech

I hadn't seen Nick Muller's reply till I scrolled down to the next thread.... I guess insane minds think alike.

Reply to
Joules Beech

my fault for double posting.

Now I wonder...

Who is the most insane? The one giving the advice, or the one who follows it??

__

Billy H

Reply to
Billy H

Is this an arcemedian screw you are building ?

Reply to
Jonathan Barnes

What about a starter ring gear? iirc mini ones are about 500 mm.

Dave

Reply to
david.sanderson