Warwick/Leamington Exhibitionr

Earlier this year the subject was raised of meeting up for a few beers/tall stories on a evening, based around this show as it was fairly central UK venue for most on this NG.

SWMBO mentioned this over breakfast the other day and asked if we were still doing it, so I thought I should ask on here. For me it means an overnighter somewhere close by with the family, but I can turn it into a weekender with visits to Warwick Castle & Stratford-on-Avon to keep them happy.

Anyone else fancy the idea (Beer, not castles etc...)?

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

Peter, depending on which day most people are available I would be up for a coke or two (need to drive) and lots of tall stories, could even put up with a bit of banter. I can't manage an overnighter this year but would be keen to join the group before they reach the falling down stage. A need to retain some beer tokens could even save me from buying something else I don't need.

Best regards

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

I'm at the show for 4 days, three actually if you don't count the Thursday setup day.

I'm on the Arc Euro stand for this time. Being situated so close to the Midlands, Ketan has secured my services at great financial cost as a translator as "Eey up me duck" is the only phrase Ketan knows.

I'm slowly teaching him the more common phrases associated with this area. Gerroncausi - [ please walk on the pavement ] Mekitgoobackards - [ please put the machine in reverse ] Wallerinrond - [ High speed range ] Gerootofit - [ I disbelive you ] Thoulkilsombugger - [ It contravenes the Health and Safety act]

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

And of course the translation is "My waterfowl has had a nasty accident with a straw bale".

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

I shall be stewarding on the Cheltenham SME stand on Saturday.

Reply to
Mike H

On my way back from a RAF Squadron 'do' on the Sunday morning- back to Canny Newcastle. Would like to pop in to thank John personally.A beer, John- and a coffee to thin out after a Pissing and Passing Out parade Saturday night. Norm

Reply to
ravensworth2674

Sounds like a good idea to me. Unfortunately, even though I'm in Rugby only 17 miles away from Warwick and 26 miles from Stratford, I don't know of any good hostelries in those towns. Thus far, I've had two suggestions from the lads at work. One mentions a wine list, but not who's beer they sell and the other seems to do reasonable beer but may be subject to "music" at times. Anyone got any Ideas? There must be some CAMRA members out there. Maybe we should have a barbie around the nearest Reliant that we find :-)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

from "Peter Neill"

I already have my ticket so will be there, just not yet sure which day yet - likelyhood is Sunday.

There is a small (read 'friendly') pub about minutes drive away just outside Ufton and a larger one about he same distance in the opposite directon at Radford Semele (recently refurbished).

JG

Reply to
JG

WINE LIST ?????????????

Are you real ???????????????

.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

Shock horror news - apparently, the original Trotter's Reliant van was destroyed by fire last week - it was bought by a garage owner in Oban & burst into flames soon after being driven off the Mull to Oban ferry on its way back to said garage.

A sad day...caps off everyone, this deserves a minute's silence...

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Wasn't that the Chester Service thread?

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

This is why it was rejected out of hand. I never could understand the function of the town of Warwick in the grand scheme of things...

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

I'm a Guinness man myself so have no knowledge of 'Real' Ale :)

Both Pubs I mentioned are CAMRA members.

The White Hart Inn at Ufton This is a smallish pub with an 'L' shaped room on two levels (dart board on the upper level). I've had very good service here in the past (I occasionally take my daughter and the grand-children for lunch). The CAMRA web site mentions Davenports and Tetley Bitter.

The White Lion at Radford Semele This used to be a Thatched Roof building but after a fire in February has been re-built and I haven't been in since it re-opened in June. CAMRA Web site only mentions Tetley Bitter.

Both are less han a mile and a half from the showground - in opposite directions.

JG

Reply to
JG

Seem to remember a pub out that way about 10 years ago when I was seeing a girl from Leamington, it was at the side of a railway in a small village, could have been an old station or railway hotel. The thing I remember about this pub is that it had a model railway running along the top of the bar and around the top of the rooms on a shelf, anyone else know of it or where it was ? Paul.

Reply to
Paul Swindell

Ok, since things seem to have gone a bit quiet..

Does anyone fancy meeting up at The White Hart Inn at Ufton from 19:30 onwards on Saturday evening? SWMBO says that she could abandon me, either at the show or at Ufton at an appropriate time and _might_ condescend to pick me up again afterwards.

Alternatively suggest another day/time and we can see who can make what. It's easy for me since I'm only 14 miles away and have a relatively understanding taxi driver!

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Not me, ta, but I am hoping to join the Friday lunchtime gathering at the show.

Reply to
Charles Lamont

May be able to make that too with a bit of luck

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Mark, can't make it I'm afraid and it looks very much like I won't be able to make the exhibition after all this year, disappointing as I have been planning my "spend" for a few weeks now. Last possible hope is I might make Friday for a couple of hours. Hope everyone has fun anyway wherever and whenever they are meeting.

Best regards

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

My plan to tempt the family up that way has gone completely awry due to teenage son having his birthday today and being kind enough to let us know that he mayl be descending on the house with a horde of his peers on Saturday. So, no chance for me to wangle an overnighter and have a few proper beers.

On the bright side I've got a day pass from SWMBO for Saturday and could stay for a few shandys afterwards, so would be more than happy to meet up with any like minded souls.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

from Peter Neill

My original intention to visit on Sunday has been thwarted due to an oportunity to attend a free singing day at Warwick University so I will now be at the show on Saturday.

I'm certainly up for a 'social' drink at Ufton.

An issue I see is one of recognition - if anyone sees a bloke with sholder-length white hair and a straggly moustache please make yourself known :))

JG

Reply to
JG