Tools for Alba 1a shaper

I've inherited a small shaper, a little 10" Alba 1a. Unfortuneately it came without any tooling. Can I use the cutting tools from my lathe or
do I need special shaper stylee tools?
imagedude wrote:

The lathe tool holders that hold the tool flat, as for use with carbide tipped tools are better than those that hold the toolbit up at an angle. I am reffering to the Armstrong and such toolholders that would be used on a lantern style toolpost.
Often one can use a HSS toolbit held directly in the toolholder on the clapper.
Look at it from the perspective that the tool should spring away from the work, rather than plow deeper into it, if the tool deflects.
This page shows some toolholders as well as tool bits used without holders.http://www.jamesriser.com/Sheldon/Shaper.html
Cheers Trevor Jones

Site Timeline