Any ideas for large motor, and electronics

On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 12:55:11 GMT, "Michael"

You might have to rethink you battery system but the chap on the site mentioned below imports some high quality electric motors from germany for building electrically assisted cycles with . Can supply controllers and power packs as well.
Might take some ingenuity to adapt to a submarine but not to difficult I would think. possibly cooling would be a problem if you wanted to run at continous rating as these motors are designed for the hub of a bicycle wheel.
http://www.kinetics.org.uk/html/high_torque.shtml
G.Harman
Michael wrote in message ...

Hi Michael,
You might find it interesting to consider a mains 3 phase motor.
Before you delete this reply as a bit wacky, please read on.
Motor inverters are quite cheap now especially secondhand on ebay. All of these rectify the mains to form a DC source from which variable frequency 3 phase AC is synthesised by electronic switches. I would think it possible to have a high voltage battery ( much more efficient at these powers than low voltages and huge current draw) and feed this in the AC inputs to the rectifiers in the inverter. Most of the inverters can be controlled by buttons on the module, remoted switches and knobs or by RS232/485 digital commands from a microprocessor. This may be a bit exotic for your project and maybe a skills mismatch but I'll throw it in as an idea.
It is *just *possible that I can get hold of programming info for Siemens Micromaster inverters as someone I work with used to work for Siemens Automation and Drives.
Good Luck
Bob
Bob Minchin wrote in message ...

electronics
batteries,
Erm -Dunno why this suddenly reposted itself. Apologies It won't let me delete it either!
Bob
Bob Minchin Wrote:

How about looking at a different technology. Would a Stirling Engin do?
Or get totally creative, High Test Peroxide running a steam turbine! Don't know if you can get the fuel though.
I suppose you could use bottled air and a small converted steam set. Even if the model weighed 200Kg you still have 300Kg for compressed ai and bottles.
At a pinch you could build a monofuel motor, like a glowplug running o gunpowder! I have seen a little impact version which was driven by roll of caps, and you still have to get the exhaust out of the boat.
Just some off the wall ideas!
Regards Robi
-- rss ----------------------------------------------------------------------- rsss's Profile: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?up10 View this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?tC745

As it is a scale model, i'd like to stick with electric motor and prop.
Michael
If you had two 12 volt large batts and this..
ebay item 7560574579
you could power a 3hp single phase 240 volt motor
all the best,....mark

And alot of money :-)
Thanks for all the comments
It's interesting: you talk to the boat people, they suggest 12V troller motors, talk to model engineers, they suggest 3 phase motors, talk to robotic engineers they talk about using somekind of scooter/electric wheel chair, talk to model submariners they suggest motors for bikes. There is no common source shard by any of them. So I have decided why not add another possilbility of my own?
10 1/4Hp motors, all sharing same shaft. To control, step the voltage up/down. So have 8 6V batteries, them connect them in such a way, so that the draw on each battery is the same. Very cheap, and should work. And no complex controllers to interface. Only problem is that isn't that efficient.
Michael

..oi gerr orf I've got that on my watch list !
Andrew

??? I seem to recall that motors don't like running of inverter outputs. What are you planning to do with this unit ?
--
Jonathan

Barnes's theorem; for every foolproof device

outputs.
Jonathan,
I happen to have a large24v battery set in my Harbuilt flat bed trolley, and it occured to me that that unit would make a nice short term standby for the house as it looks as though the government is slowly walking us into a bleak winter with power cuts threatening. 3Kw is more than than enough for domestic (bar cooking) load for the odd couple of hours - in fact with everything reduce to standby load is abot 750 watts (I continuously monitor power usage!!)
AWEM
On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 12:55:11 GMT, "Michael"

Sorry to clutter up the group with a semi commercial message but a direct email yielded the following response:-
Final-Recipient: rfc822; snipped-for-privacy@Qblueyonder.co.uk Action: failed Status: 5.0.0 Diagnostic-Code: X-SMTP-Server; Host or domain name not found. Name service error for name=Qblueyonder.co.uk type=A: Host not found
Message
Low voltage 3HP DC motors are pretty rare beasts but I have four ex US army permanent magnet 36V 2Hp motors - one or a pair of these would be a reasonable solution.
Nameplate data
Leeson Electric Co Grafton Wisconsin Permanent magnet motor 2HP continuous rating 36V DC 49A 3,350 RPM
5 1/2" diameter x 11" long 14Kg(30lbs)
The output shaft is 15mm diameter recessed inside a 42mm diameter recess.
The shaft is hardened and tempered and provided with a 1/4" x1/4" driving slot suitable for driving an Oldham type coupling.
A possible simple speed control system is a stack of 6V batteries with voltage selected by diode isolated contactors.
Jim
I'm interested, could you contact me directly regarding a price?
Thanks