Anyone have spares for Elliot Sturdimill?

I've just taken delivery of a Sturdimill 1250, but it arrived without a few bits, namely the 39T spur gear to drive the vertical head, the draw bar for the vertical head (the vertical attachment rather than the vertical head with a quill), the axis drive handle, the horizontal arbour and arbour supports. I have been quoted more than I paid for the mill for the spur gear and cannot obtain any of the other parts (from Gate machinery). I desperately need the handle and the spur gear, I can make a draw bar and can live without the horizontal parts for now. Anyone have spares or know of someone who does? Martin

Reply to
Martin Whybrow

A first step is to give us details of the tooth size for the gears, whether in DP or Module.

Then the shaft size, and the means of locking the gear to the shaft.

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

Martin. I have a Victoria with vertical head and with it is a driving gear that doesn't belong it. Any chance on sizes and is it straight cut or helical.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Reply to
John Stevenson

Martin

If John or anyone else doesn't have the right gear, & if a milled gear, non-hardened, would be good enough, I have 3Mod cutters for 39t in both 14.5 & 20 PA, also .375cp No3 at 20deg & no4 at 14.5. If you can wait a week or so I could make something up if you let me have a sketch, alternatively if you can do it yourself we could probably come to some arrangement over the use of the cutters.

HTH

Tim Tim Leech Dutton Dry-Dock

timleech

John The gear is straight cut, the actual gear section will be about 1" thick with a boss projecting about 5/16". It has 4 x 1/2" holes on a 2 5/8" PCD to bolt to the flange and, possibly, 2 slots to engage the drive dogs of an INT40 socket. Based on the original gear, the 39T gear will have a circular pitch of 3/8" OR it is metric with a modulus of 3 (the actual calculations, based on the OD of the mating gear, are 0.376" or m=3.04 so I cannot be sure which it is). I calculate the 39T gear will be 4 29/32" outside diameter. Martin

Reply to
Martin Whybrow

Martin

I've just remembered that Home & Workshop Machinery were advertising a vertical head for a 1250 Sturdimil fo ages. It was a while ago, but they were asking what sounded to me like silly money so they may have it yet. If so, you might be able to get some dimensions for the gear from them , or maybe even get the whole head for a bargain price

Worth having a word with Steve on 020 8300 9070. They're very approachable, worth asking about the other bits.

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech Dutton Dry-Dock

timleech

Tim thanks for that, sadly they've sold it (and it did have the elusive gear with it)

Martin

Reply to
Martin Whybrow