tiller head part/making do

Ideas needed for converting an Ariens ST524 to a garden tiller. The part used to do this is now obsolete...Ariens part 832004....and I have not been able to find it through several cyberspace searches.

What I have found is tiller blades with the hole in the center being

1"OD, which appears to be compatible with the drive on the tiller. Could the tiller blades be welded to some pipe, then this bolted onto the tiller drive?

Another concern is the grease "inlets" on the auger head, which a homemade tiller head would not have...?

So....where can I find Ariens part 832004 (Ariens Co. says...keep looking)?

Can a tiller head be fashioned out of the tiller tines that I have found?

What about keeping this portion of the unit greased?

Linda H., doityerselfer in IL

Reply to
Tallgrass

Here is a company that sells all kinds of power equipment parts and subassemblies Small Engine Distributors 1701 Liberty Street Kansas City MO 64102 They might have a website these days.

I used to get their flyers, which were full of engines, gearboxes and other drive components that were bought as production over-runs/surplus. The prices were exceptionally good.

WB ..................

Reply to
Wild Bill

I have two old tillers I have salvaged parts from for other projects, and both of them as well as the serviceable tiller I now use has a piece of round tube / pipe with a flange on it, so you can bolt the tiller blades to this flange. The flange is basically a piece of flat plate welded to this pipe or tube. Both the inner and outer blade sets are made identical and secured to the tillers ouput shafts by way of a bolt or pin through the pipe and also the tillers drive shaft.

I have a gear / chain driven gearbox for a tiller as well as a gear reduction head from a tiller, that were both working when removed from the tillers. The later gear box is cast iron and is driven from a pulley on the top that is horizontal to the vertical shaft (requires a vertical shafat engine) in the gerabox, which at the bottom splits out to 2 shafts to mount the tiller blades to. Its cast iron. The other is a stamped steel case with gear and also chain and sprockets inside, and requires a horizontal shaft motor to dfrive it,.

I assume what you call a tiller head to be the portion that the blades are attached to.

If you could possibly utilize those gear boxes let me know. The cast iron one would probably need new seals but it sounds good as to its internal workings not being noisy or grinding.

Visit my website:

expressed are those of my wifes, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Reply to
Roy

sells all sorts of parts for grounds equipment, mostly golf course oriented. They might have something you can adapt for the tillers.

Reply to
ATP

The pipe with flange is the part that I *think* I need. I don't know if gear reduction would be needed or not, to drive tiller blades instead of the snow auger.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. Am checking them out.

Linda H.

Reply to
Tallgrass

thanks for all the suggestions. checked out all the suggestions, and no luck. Next step, I guess, is to look for a garden tiller graveyard/salvage!

Linda H.

Reply to
Tallgrass