Arrand vs Greenwood

I'd like to set my self up with good a set of carbide tip indexabl

tools. Both Greenwood and Arrand seem to offer this at similar(ish prices (which meet my budget).

I use a Super 7 with an Amolco milling attachment and machine the usua range of steam engine-oriented model engineering materials.

Arrand don't have a website, but their catalogue shows well-made usefu tooling. I like the their idea of using just one tip for all tools facing, turning, boring and milling... Likewise, Greenwood tools see well thoughtout and their staff are helpful on the phone.

Any opinions/preferences/comments about these two companies would b most welcome. While money is not unlimited I am happy to pay well fo high quality kit from companes with good aftersales care. I suspec that both these companies meet my basic criteria, but I would like t hear from those of you with direct experience.

Many thanks in advance for you help.

Matt, Brighto

-- Myford Mat

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Myford Matt's Profile:

this thread:

Myford Matt

Both companies sell good kit and I use both. The main advantage of the Greenwood stuff is that one tool is all you need for both turning and facing cuts whereas Arrand's kit needs two tools to do both properly. On the other hand, the Greenwood inserts only give you two cutting edges whereas the Arrand ones have three.

The Greemwood inserts also fit Glanze tools which are pretty good and available from Chronos. They have ones which use the other corners of the Greenwood inserts.

You can often get inserts cheaper in boxes of 10 from J&L on their monthy discount mailings.

From Brighton you could try Turner Tools: Unit 15, Armstrong Close, Churchfields Ind Est, St. Leonards-On-Sea, East Sussex TN38 9ST; Tel 01424

853055. ME stuff is at the bottom of their range but they sell a vast range of tools and inserts.
Reply to
Norman Billingham

Thanks Norman - qualitywise is there anything to choose between Arran

and Greenwood inserts?

Cheers

Mat

-- Myford Mat

this thread:

Myford Matt

Not that I've ever noticed - both use standard inserts and you can get them from many suppliers, including J&L. The ones Greenwood supply are gold coloured (I assume coated), whereas Arrand's are normal grey. Both are pretty standard positive rake inserts. If you are turning aluminium or plastics there are better inserts anyway.

Reply to
Norman Billingham