Do I detect a shill?

I don't really care one way or the other, but this doesn't look entirely kosher:-

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Neither can I... Well apart from the sellers username! Would YOU feel happy about buying from a guy who calls himself shark LOL... Cheers, Scruff.

Reply to
Scruff

Mainly the fact that I wouldn't expect any bids at that price for that level of equipment, no clutch, no gearbox, no stand, a vertical slide but photos not clear enough to see the state of the lathe. Even if the potential buyer is also in the same part of the world, they could save money by driving 300 miles.

Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean that they aren't out to get me :-(

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

What makes you suspicious? At a quick look I can't see anything about that listing which makes me uneasy.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

What's the issue?

Looks OK to m

-- Myford Mat

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Myford Matt's Profile:

this thread:

Myford Matt

You're right, in a way. I wouldn't bid £500 on a lathe without seeing it. A Myford in excellent condition is good value at £500, but you can't tell from those pictures. Some people have too much money.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Take a peep at the bidding history of the 'bidder'. It seems a frenzied amount of activity has taken place during the last few days/hours......

Les W

Reply to
Avondale Audio

Not really. Once an auction reaches US$200, eBay now conceals the names of the bidders, substituting bidder 1, bidder 2 etc., depending on how many enter the bidding.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Thereby almost completely removing any visibility of corrupt practices and yet another reason to avoid ebay.

Reply to
Mike

In article , Mike writes

If you avoid eBay just because there is a chance you may get the occasional bad deal, you will miss a lot of potential bargains. In a couple of hundred purchases, I have only come out badly a couple of times, and been mildly disappointed maybe a dozen or so times. Among the very many successful deals were some great bargains. Just look carefully at the record of the seller.

But, as that means you will not be competing with me, I suppose it would be in my best interest to discourage you. In which case - BEWARE - they are all out to con you....

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

Ebay has some wonderful stuff at silly cheap prices and absolute crap a

jaw-droppingly high prices. There are loads of honest people and a fe out and out sharks. In other words it's identical to the real world 'cept you can view stuff from anywhere.

I can't understand why people are so snooty and look down their nose at it. I don't have a car and the nearest decent tool dealer is 2 miles away. Without eBay my workshop would either be three-quarter empty or have cost three times as much.

I've had a mint (truly new) Griptru for £150, a fantastic little J& sensitive drill for £65, M&W micrometers for a fiver, fascinating book for little more than the cost of postage; unopened Arrand gear at hal price; a grand's worth of Reeves castings for £200 delivered to th door by the seller and... I could go on. Sure I've had the odd lemon but compared to the really wonderful bargains I've had they're nothing All it takes is patience, sensible assessment of feedback, good use o email and knowing when to stop bidding.

Still, as David says, it's all a con - steer well clear! :-

-- Myford Mat

this thread:

Myford Matt