Bearing discounts?

Can anyone explain to my why the bearing supply industry has such an apparently daft system of discounts? I've been well aware of it for many years, but it was brought home to me particularly yesterday. I need to get a big split ball thrust race, & was half expecting trouble finding one as it's a semi-obsolete style. My usual rep at the local bearing house, who seems to look after me pretty well, is on holiday so I wasn't expecting much joy from them. A couple of calls later I found a company which said yes, it's a stock item, yours for £450+ That's around the figure I was expecting, but I wasn't expecting a high discount as a total stranger so asked if that was his best offer. His response was that that's with a 75% discount, list is £1800, but to let him know if I get a better offer elsewhere, so he must still have a bit of leeway. My local supplier used to suggest I open an account with them, as they could then offer a better discount. That always struck me as crazy, they would then be waiting longer to get less money, but it was company policy. The company has changed hands & that policy has gone now. Does anyone ever pay list price for ball & roller bearings?

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

Yes, Anyone who gets work done on their car at a garage :-(

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

I wouldn't get away with charging my customer £1800 :-(

Tim

Tim Leech

What was the bearing number?

Peter

Prepair Ltd

M 19 1/2 CD

Tim

Tim Leech

£496.45 plus VAT from our local guy. Didn't quote list but the bearing is available. Peter

Prepair Ltd

Thanks Peter. Luckily there's no panic, so I'll see what my usual guy can come up with next week.

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

I am inquisitive - what type of bearing costs that amount of money ?

Thanks Tim

Reply to
TMN

I am inquisitive - what type of bearing costs that amount of money ?

Thanks Tim

A bally expensive one - lucky Tim's a rich b****r

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

A lot of Matched pair spindle bearings can go for around that and higher!

I think I was lucky when I bought the pair for my smaller Hardinge lathe. I think it was about 250 the pair. BUT the Kluber grease for these came to 80 Quid! (I think that was for 2 x 50mg tubes) They are packed for life so the grease has to be good..

Wayne...

Reply to
Wayne Weedon

Oh No I'm Not! :-(

It's a split ball thrust race, ie the outer or inner race is in two halves to allow assembly and if necessary some adjustment by grinding the split faces, so it'll take thrust in both directions, lots of it, as well as providing shaft support. 3.25" bore, 7.5" OD, 1.5" thick.

Cheers Tim Dutton Dry-Dock Traditional & Modern canal craft repairs Vintage diesel engine service

Reply to
Tim Leech

yikes I cant bear to pay that much !!!

Tim

Reply to
TMN

Luckily it's not for me, it's for a customer, though I'll probably have to stump up for it for a couple of weeks :-( Waiting to hear back from my regular supplier, he's trying to find one at a 'good' price for me. He's also trying to find whether a 125mm shaft seal at 6" OD can be sourced. I've skimmed the worn 5" shaft down to 125mm, if he can get the seal it'll save me making an awkward bush for the OD. Standard OD for 125 shaft seal is 150 or, IIRC,

175mm.

Tim

Tim Leech

If you dont mind me asking where does a bearing like this get used ?

Tim South Africa

Reply to
TMN

errr...in Tim's boat repair yard...?

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Yes.

Actually on the output shaft of a marine gearbox, where it has to support the shaft to keep the gears in proper mesh, at the same time carrying the thrust from the propellor in either direction. This style used to be the norm for this sort of thing, newer boxes tend to use pairs of taper roller bearings or sometimes separate thrust and support bearings or pairs of angular contact bearings.

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

My usual supplier has managed 25 quid less than anyone else, every little helps He thought he would be able to manage better than that. Also he's sorting out some metric ID/Imperial OD seals for me, they'll take a week but luckily that's not an issue for this job.

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech