Beaver home :-))

After an anxious few weeks watching the weather etc., we finally had a window of opportunity to get the Beaver turret mill collected from Coventry and taken home.

We've had the trailer out almost continuously in the past few days, and after unloading this morning we went over to Coventry to get the beastie.

The place itself was apparently a bus depot then a storage site for GEC at Rugby for their big turbines and other generating gear. The access wasn't brilliant though, so the neighbours must have kicked up at special loads etc!

They are machinery dealers and exporters, and were storing the Beaver for the guy I bought it off. It was buried right in a corner, and I had visions of a couple of hours work to move the other machines, but then noticed the large overhead crane....

5 minutes and it was dropped very gently on to two pieces of 1" X 10" timber on the trailer. We took it outside and strapped it up tightly, took some pic's and set off for Nuneaton to collect some metalwork while we were in the area, saves fuel...

It is a series 2 machine, it looks in quite good nick, better than the ebay photo would have suggested. It has power to the knee and elsewhere once I found the knobs and dials etc.

It also has Tecalemit one-shot oiling which worked, quite a useful addition I think. Table looks good, not many dings and digs, the screws all feel nice and smooth and not much slack anywhere.

We took the DRO display off for the trip back, but it looks fine and I'll give it a run here today to see if it lights up etc.

We now have to move the AVM Key Seating machine, followed by the smaller A&S which Kevin S has acquired, then get the Beaver in alongside the Ward 2A. Could be a busy week...

Peter

Prepair Ltd

A few pictures are up at:

full resolution versions (3.5mb) are at:

Peter

Reply to
Peter A Forbes

Nice!

I'll have to visit sometime to get ideas for replacing broken bits on mine (wheels instead of ball handles for the knee etc.)

Regards Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

We looked at the tool holding taper yesterday and thought "that look bl**dy big for a 30Int!"

Took a couple of holders up this morning and it is a 40Int, not a

30Int, so all that stuff we have been buying recently is going to have to find new homes!!

Still, we have loads of 40Int stuff, including three or four new Clarkson Dedlock holders and a load of cutters courtesy of various people on this NG :-))

Peter

Prepair Ltd

Looks a bit like Cromwell St,Coventry.Is it? regards,Mark.

Reply to
mark

Yup, Redhouse Engineering.

Peter

Peter

Prepair Ltd

I'm not sure whether to be very impressed or deeply worried

It looks frighteningly like a street in most large towns in the UK to me!

Charles

Charles Ping

I suspect Mark would know the people there, as they had a lot of 'his sort' of automatic machines in various states of assembly.

They were pretty friendly and no problem with rolling up and getting the mill out for me. The vendor had been on the phone earlier but they were a bit bust and there was some confusion over the reference number on the machine, but as I could positively identify it they just hooked it up and away we went :-))

I have an electronic vserion of their stocklisting if anyone needs it, is is an Access file, quite large at 700kb+

Peter

Prepair Ltd

Don`t worry Charles.Recognised it because I`ve been at Redhouse dozen`s of times.He puts out a list a few times a year of machines he`s picked up at auction,machines that people have stored and then stopped paying him rent and stuff he`s been paid to move that`s too good to dump.All his machines are priced and he`s a hard man to haggle with but I`ve never worked out how he does his valuations.What I would call crap is usually expensive and vice versa.Philip the owner fell through the roof one year while on holiday(he spends his holidays fixing the roof)and survived with only a slight limp to show for it,very lucky,that roof`s

30-40ft high as I`m sure Peter will testify.It`s always worth asking for his stocklist as he sometimes has small stuff for sale.His website is
regards,Mark.
Reply to
mark

I hate you!

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Thanks. That's a keeper.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Look on the bright side Mark. You now know where there's a chap with a pile of unwanted 30INT stuff.

Regards

Charles

Charles Ping

I thought their prices for some of the small stuff were pretty fair, although their main business was in the larger machinery, so the smaller stuff wouldn't have moved much to their industrial customers.

I have been looking at a couple of items already.... :-))

Peter

Reply to
Peter A Forbes

stuff.

Charles,I`m quite sure Peter will soon get rid of that lot.40 int a far better holder anyway and there`s loads more about. regards,Mark.

Reply to
mark

I'm only jealous (of either 30 or 40 INT) - some of us have to live with R8

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

I never go into R8 stuff, but Vince across the road has an Induma (Bridgie copy) and an Adcock & Shipley Bridgeport, both turret mills, but the Induma is R8 and the Adcock is 30Int. He was going to sell me one of the two, but prevarication ruled and he couldn't make his mind up, so I bought the Beaver :-))

I've ordered a manual and spares CD from Tony Griffith, so will be able to have a read up on the machine before we use it in anger.

Peter

Prepair Ltd