What thread is this?

Hi all,

I have a thread. It is a part for a vintage car, for a temperature guage.

I have measured the OD to 12.55mm, so I guess the OD should be 1/2".

I have guaged 26tpi.

I don't have anything even close on my charts. Can someone tell me what it is?

Thanks. Dave Colliver.

- Portal Franchises available

Reply to
Dave

Peter

Reply to
Peter A Forbes

Thank you both.

One I had never heard of before.

Are nuts of this size still available (apart from our resident jailbird)?

Thanks. Dave.

- Portal Franchises available

Reply to
Dave

I think not, although there may well be some stocks of old stuff knocking about.

You can still get taps and dies turn up, always worth looking out for them.

Peter

Reply to
Peter A Forbes

1/2" BSB is the thread often used on table lamps to hold the bayonet fitting into the lamp body. If you get one with a china/glass base you might find a nut or two. Try a jumble /car bbot sale.

If you want to borrow a tap and make some nuts then I think I have one somewhere. Let me know and I'll instigate a search in the furthest reaches of the workshop bobdotminchinatntlworlddotcom

Regards

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Dave,

What are you looking for ? material? nuts? or a fitting ? I have taps and dies here, no problem to run you a couple of bits off.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

Taps and Dies for BSB are available from Tracy Tools apparently. See

Ian

In message , Dave writes

Reply to
Ian Cockshull

BSB: British Standard Brass.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Head for your local Brit bike restorer, 1/2" BSC is 26 tpi, albeit 60 degree thread angle.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Hi Dave, It's Standard brass. 26 tpi, depth of thread .0246, core diameter.4508, tapping size 29/64. If you are restoring an antique car, why are you using foreign measurments? ATB Chris.

Reply to
chris1.reader

Hi

It is actually my father that restores vintage cars. Some of his cars can be seen here...

(Mr Stevenson, you saw one when I came to see you last year, though the item is not for one of those)

Anyhow, I am younger than 40, so my measurements are in metric (though I can do English). It was just the micrometer I had to hand when I measured the threads, so I roughly translated it to english.

Mr Stevenson, as you are not too far from me (or my dad), (Kirkby-in-Ashfield), I have given him your details, so you may be getting a call from him pretty soon. He basically has a temperature guage and needs a nut for it.

Thanks everyone for your offers.

Best regards, Dave Colliver.